Brake controller check

Started by GlobeSailor56, September 25, 2018, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlobeSailor56

Hi everyone, is there a way to check if the brake controller on my trailer still works properly? I've got it from the previous owner and he mentioned that it may require a replacement soon. I don't have experience with other trailers, but it looks like the brakes on my new trailer seem to be a little too quick/sharp (I hope it makes sense).

DavidM

Well, quick and sharp means that they are working but maybe not adjusted properly. Depending on model there is an adjustment knob on the side or top. Most also have a manual slide that engages the trailer brakes without hitting the TV brakes. So start moving slowly and hit the manual slide switch all the way. If the trailer brakes lock up, that is too much. So back off on the adjustment knob until the trailer just doesn't lock up. Or advance the knob until the just lock up and back off a bit from there. That is the correct adjustment point.

Then try it by hitting the brakes while moving at 10 mph. If it is a proportional type, the brakes should engage smoothly the faster you stop with the TV brakes.

But if you don't have a proportional type, you might consider getting one. They are much, much better than the single braking force type. The latter drives me crazy when I slow down slowly for a light with my foot lightly on the brakes. Almost all of the braking is from the trailer in that case.

David

Firetruck41

GlobeSailor, the brake controller you mention as being on the trailer (I think this would be called the actuator, not brake controller), appears to be working if you feel the brakes working.  If you are feeling them engage too strongly, as David mentions you probably need to look at and adjust your brake controller, which is the unit wired in to your truck (not on the trailer).  You might look up the operation manual for your specific brake controller to see the procedure to set it properly, or consider a newer/better controller if needed.  I really like the Prodigy 3 brake controller I bought for my truck last year.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4WD Crewcab
2017 Camplite 21BHS
2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17' (sold)

Merlin

A couple more ideas.......

You mentioned the previous owner suggested maintenance soon, so it's possible the trailer brakes need service. They may be worn or grease contaminated and that could lead to odd braking behavior.

Also, if the brake controller is literally on the trailer, it may have hydraulic brakes instead of electric brakes. If the trailer has electric brakes, you won't see anything on the trailer except 2 wires going to each brake drum. If it has hydraulic brakes there will be a large hydraulic controller on the tongue.
Michigan