Thor eats another one

Started by MTCamper, February 17, 2019, 12:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTCamper

ADR

Not sure what you mean by "Thor eats another one" but Hymer did that to themselves with a bunch of financial shenanigans going on- I don't blame Thor one bit for dropping that buy....

Added a  link> https://rvdailyreport.com/industry/erwin-hymer-north-america-rocked-by-scandal/

MTCamper

Thought the deal went through this past fall and THOR has them listed as one of their companies on their website. Did not realize the deal did not close. Perhaps THOR should update their website. Regardless I empathize with all the workers, families, and other businesses affected by the closure.

nhlakes

I have been following that for awhile.  Hymer (a leading RV maker in Europe) acquired Roadtrek, one of the leading makers of class B's a couple years back and a couple of days ago Road trek was completely shutdown.  Rumors of fraud, embezzlement, etc... 800 employees fired.  Roadtrek.com is not even up. Can't imagine spending 6 figures on a Roadtrek one day and the company completely shutting down the next.  At least with with LL we had Thor assume ownership of warrantees etc.

ADR

Quote from: MTCamper on February 17, 2019, 12:56:04 PM
Thought the deal went through this past fall and THOR has them listed as one of their companies on their website. Did not realize the deal did not close. Perhaps THOR should update their website. Regardless I empathize with all the workers, families, and other businesses affected by the closure.

I think Thor may have acquired the European Hymer but even that is difficult to determine- both Thor and Hymer's websites appear to be out of date/evasive on that.

https://www.rvbusiness.com/blog/Thor-Seeks-to-Exclude-North-America-in-EHG-Buyout.html

Maybe someone else will pick up Hymer NA and bring it back..Thor would have likely ruined it anyway :-\

nhlakes

Quote from: ADR on February 17, 2019, 05:07:07 PM

I think Thor may have acquired the European Hymer but even that is difficult to determine- both Thor and Hymer's websites appear to be out of date/evasive on that.

https://www.rvbusiness.com/blog/Thor-Seeks-to-Exclude-North-America-in-EHG-Buyout.html

Maybe someone else will pick up Hymer NA and bring it back..Thor would have likely ruined it anyway :-\

Thor was in the process of acquiring Hymer when they discovered financial irregularities and backed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADR

Quote from: nhlakes on February 17, 2019, 10:19:54 PM
Quote from: ADR on February 17, 2019, 05:07:07 PM

Thor was in the process of acquiring Hymer when they discovered financial irregularities and backed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The article I linked and other sources indicate they will not be buying Hymer North America but still plan on buying the main Hymer Europe business.   Have you seen info that states they aren't buying any of it?

nhlakes

Quote from: ADR on February 18, 2019, 04:39:19 AM
The article I linked and other sources indicate they will not be buying Hymer North America but still plan on buying the main Hymer Europe business.   Have you seen info that states they aren't buying any of it?

Fair enough.  It may have been more accurate for me to say "Thor was in the process of acquiring Hymer when they discovered financial irregularities and the sh*t hit the fan.'  ;)

I know Thor halted the process, but as you suggest, it does not surprise me they are looking to see what they can salvage from the deal.     

I was considering buying a Roadtrek a few years ago and still follow the blog of a (now former) Roadtrek rep so have been reading about this mess for awhile now.   I have really only paid attention to the Hymer NA / Roadtrek stuff, so I am sure you are correct.

ADR

Its too bad some of the Euro RV stuff isn't sold here.  They have a lot of smaller RVs that I'd be interested in if only we could get them.
As far as I can tell Hymer NA only delved into Roadtrek-  I was hoping they'd bring more Euro influence to the US.

DavidM

It will take time to come.

Maybe when crude oil gets back above $100/bbl, gasoline goes to $5-6.00/gal or our government comes to its senses and taxes fuels appropriately. Then we might see a trend to smaller, fuel efficient cars and the RVs to go with them. But for now it is gas guzzling monsters.

I find it also unfortunate that diesels for automotive use have had it in Europe and never caught on here. Diesels are 1/3 more efficient than gasoline engines and can be made just as clean. VW and others did diesels in with their emissions cheating to save a few bucks on DEF addition.

David

Retharts

yeah, Thor must have acquired the European Hymer.