Cooler Mount on Rear Deck

Started by txleadfoot, August 08, 2018, 04:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txleadfoot

We have a large marine cooler that I was considering mounting to the rear platform on my 8.1.  Have been seeing marine cooler mounts online made from plastic and a small bungee, but was hoping someone here could make a recommendation?

Thanks!
Shaun
Whitewright, TX
Shaun
Whitewright, Texas USA

Steve Sanders

Large marine cooler sounds heavy. The location of the platform means you can't see it while driving. Doesn't sound like a good place to bungees to me.

I put pieces of L-Track on the front and back edges of the platform on our 6.0 and used ratchet straps to secure items.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

txleadfoot

Hi Steve,  I am not familiar with L-Track but have been studying photos and it appears to be a secure solution.  Do you have any photos of your setup and/or recommendations of L-Track attachments?
Shaun
Whitewright, Texas USA

Steve Sanders

L-Track is used in commercial aircraft to mount the seats and secure anything that needs to be tied down. As I recall, each attachment point is rated for up to 2,000 pounds. Limited by what the track is mounted to.
I saw some recently in our local Northern Tool store.
This isn't the best picture of the track, but it's all I've got on my phone.

txleadfoot

Nice rig.  Thanks for the photo & great info!
Shaun
Whitewright, Texas USA

Steve Sanders

Quote from: txleadfoot on August 09, 2018, 12:01:45 PM
Nice rig.  Thanks for the photo & great info!
Thanks!

That one is probably going to a new home Saturday. We've enjoyed it a lot! Moving into an 8.1.

txleadfoot

I ordered some L-Track and hardware.  In the meantime I temporarily mounted some hefty 1/8"x1" aluminum angle using the factory screws.  Not a great photo, but it worked well on the last trip no problems with our Igloo 120 qt. cooler strapped down with cam buckle straps.

Any idea the specs on the special assembly screws that hold the trim on?  I'd like some spares as some were loose when I checked.
Shaun
Whitewright, Texas USA