Unidentified fuse in Camplite 14DBS

Started by RV Squirrel, June 07, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RV Squirrel

I've been doing some electrical rework in my 2014 Camplite 14DBS, and I keep scratching my head when I encounter a fuseholder that is separated from the other fuses in my AC/DC converter.  The fuse is 15AMPs.  When I unplug it, the radio stops, but nothing else does (not that I have noticed, anyway!).  The strange thing is that the radio already has its own fuse in the AC/DC converter.  So why would there be two fuses?  I've attached a picture.  I see it whenever I open the cabinet beneath the sink to get dog kibble.  If the dogs know what it's there for, they are not telling me.  Anyone have any ideas?

Pinstriper

Probably not factory. Some folks objected to the radio glowing loud blue all night and put switches, or conceivably an inline fuse that was easier to find and pull than remembering which what which on the pdc.

For our part, we just removed the faceplate and left it off except for the rare times when we actually wanted the stereo.

Then again, it may be that they replaced the original radio and the inline fuse was part of the wiring that came with it.

Merlin

I agree with pinstriper that does not seem factory. The only OEM inline fuse in my camper is the one to the power tongue jack. I installed an in-line fuse to the separate amp I put in the sound system.
Michigan

RV Squirrel

Well, I *thought* that I was buying a new trailer when I purchased it.  There were no obvious signs of prolonged use, but there was a dent here and there that made me think that I might have purchased a demo model.  I'm thinking that if this was put in as a "switch", then I can simply remove it.  The radio light bothered me at first, but I figured out how to configure the radio so that it was dimmer.  Thanks.

RV Squirrel

I think that I have figured out what the fuse is for.  Apparently, there are two "power" wires to the XD1228 radio.  One (a red wire) is used for general power, and has a 15 AMP fuse in the AC to DC converter distribution box (along with most other DC loads).  A second one (a yellow wire) is for memory presets only, and requires an external 5 AMP fuse. According to the user manual, if either is disconnected, the radio will not work.  I am thinking that this external fuse may have been put here since maybe not all CampLites had an XD1228 radio, or because they didn't want to confuse it with the 15AMP fuses that were in the AC to DC converter distribution box.  If that was the case, then the scheme failed because the fuse holder had a 15 AMP (not 5 AMP) fuse in it!

Paul

I have a fuse directly on my radio it burnt once and it took me a lot of time to find why the radio wasn't working lol

2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

RV Squirrel

I'm surprised that they made the fuse so easy to get to.  Couldn't they have hid it inside one of the tires?  ;D

Paul

Quote from: RV Squirrel on July 06, 2022, 10:47:25 PMI'm surprised that they made the fuse so easy to get to.  Couldn't they have hid it inside one of the tires?  ;D
Haha yes, it still took me a while to find mine and it was directly on the radio lol but the cable was hiding it
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS