Anyone added 12v charging station to their trailer?

Started by tbrady, May 01, 2017, 02:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrady

Just curious if anyone has added a place to charge their phones (off the battery) in their trailers.  We have several USB ports but unfortunately they only run off of AC, it would be awesome if these were 12v instead...

charliem

Very easy to do. Best to wire directly to an unused fuse slot on the converter panel with #12AWG wire. Many combination panels are available allowing USB ports and/or auto cigarette lighter sockets. Place them wherever you find convenient. Some folks opt for a combination including a digital voltmeter for battery monitoring. If you go with a cigarette lighter socket there are many plugin USB adapters available. Search the archive section of this forum for ideas.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

FastEddieB

By the bed in our 21BHS:

Power runs from a splitter at the 12v socket by the TV.

FastEddieB

When we're outside:

Power runs from a connector at my rear batteries.

thudd3r

yep...added a shelf to hold the devices and a dual usb charging station.  the power is fed by the main dc light switch by the door, so i dont have to worry about it (or anything plugged into it) draining the batteries when not in use

Paul

That is really cool! I have to investigate the usb charging station that was installed by the factory doesn't work anymore on mine there is one day I had two device plugged and it became really hot and stopped working. Could it be a fuse or something?
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

tbrady

Thanks everyone for the replies!  And Eddie, I completely forgot about the 12v socket for the TV.  That's an easy thing to hook into until I install something myself...

And Paul,  it could be just a fuse but I would guess there is something else on that circuit that you would have noticed not working if so.

charliem

Quote from: Paul on May 01, 2017, 10:42:01 PM
That is really cool! I have to investigate the usb charging station that was installed by the factory doesn't work anymore on mine there is one day I had two device plugged and it became really hot and stopped working. Could it be a fuse or something?
Blown fuses don't cause things to overheat but overheating things cause blown fuses. The USB port probably failed, maybe due to overload. The fuse may also have blown. If you find a blown fuse try replacing it, but the USB port is probably defective.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Paul

Quote from: charliem on May 02, 2017, 12:13:04 AM
Quote from: Paul on May 01, 2017, 10:42:01 PM
Blown fuses don't cause things to overheat but overheating things cause blown fuses. The USB port probably failed, maybe due to overload. The fuse may also have blown. If you find a blown fuse try replacing it, but the USB port is probably defective.
Thanks Charlie for your input. It was probably overloaded it happened right when my wife plugged a second device
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

charliem

Quote from: Paul on May 02, 2017, 07:10:23 AM
Thanks Charlie for your input. It was probably overloaded it happened right when my wife plugged a second device
Replace fuse or USB charger. Easier than replacing wife  ;D

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Fargo 14DBer

Here's where I installed my phone chargers.

Pinstriper

We travel with a pair of Ryobi One+ LED Lanterns, which the new ones have  USB charging port. Also have a travel charger to recharge those batteries when we do have shore power.

We also always have at least 2 USB power sticks that start the trip fully charged.

All our USB charger cables have dual connectors that drive micro-USB and Apple Lightening connectors, which minimizes the number of cords we carry to clutter things up.

dlb53151

Bought the usb you mentioned but it doesn't work either.  I double checked the 30 amp fuse and it is good.  I should be able to just hook up the red and black to the new usb but no dice.  The cig lighter next to it works fine.  Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

Is the problem with:

a) no voltage in the wires or

b) no output from the USB even if hooked up to working wiring?
Michigan

dlb53151

Not sure if voltage in wires.  What volt tester would I use for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk