Backdoor/Ramp Materials

Started by spadedace, January 04, 2017, 07:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spadedace

My new VRV 6x15 has some craftsmanship issues that I need to address.  Namely, the back door on the outside, at the very bottom where the springs for the door mount, they obviously put a screw in the wrong place and then moved it down to where it should be as there is a perfect screw sized hole just above where the center screw goes on the 3 screw plate that holds the spring to the door.  It's a painted surface (mine is orange) but I want to fill this hole to stop it from getting any worse. 

It appears that what is inside the hole looks to be some sort of fiberglass and I can stick the tip of my index finger into this hole about half way up the fingernail...it's that big and deep.  They must have covered it up with some cheap filler and painted it as I never saw it until I started to work on it.  There are a few other small spots where it appears that the paint is "bubbling" and if you scratch it, it powders and falls off leaving what looks like a rusted spot (it's not rust but aluminum rusts just like steel only it looks different).  I have no idea how or what to use to repair these things.  I also don't have touch up paint. 

My nearest dealer turns up on the Livin' Lite website as down in Key Largo, which is 9 hours+ from here.  Yikes!  The door to the cabin has a defect that was done in the build (no other way possible for this type of damage) and the rear door is the same.  I'm fine fixing them myself if I could find out what materials were actually used in the making of them.  Good luck finding that on their site! 

Anyone have any idea what they use?  My guess for the rear door/ramp is a thin painted sheet of aluminum (just like on the roof) with some plastic or fiber material inside.  I've seen video of Livin' Lite driving a front-end loader onto the ramps of these things so it's super strong whatever it is. 

Thanks.