Brakes and Bearings

Started by dlb53151, May 18, 2021, 12:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlb53151

Roughly how many miles would one expect to get out of the trailer brakes? (We have the tandem axle 16TBS). 

We have about 5k miles on the bearings since the repack.  I have not added any grease.  What brand / type of grease should I use for the top-off?  Or is it best to take it in for another repack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chappy133

Sorry can't give you a milage on brake replacement but in PA we are required to have an annual inspection of our trailer and part of that inspection is checking the brake pads.  We are north of 12K miles and have the original brakes and drums.

Pretty sure the Drexel (SIC) manual specifies which grease is used for the bearings.  Should be one of the high temperature "red" greases. 

Lots of You Tube videos on their site too for lubing.

I lube our axles every Spring as part of the season prep.  Toughest part of lubing the bearing for me is putting the rubber dust cap back on.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

Merlin

When I checked the brakes on my tandem axle 16TBS after about 15K miles, the shoes had plenty of lining left. I keep my controller and shoes adjusted properly so the trailer brakes are very effective, but don't drag. Single axle trailers or brakes and controllers that are out of adjustment could dramatically shorten brake life.

The problem with the brakes on mine when I checked was 2 blown grease seals that made a huge mess inside 2 of  the brake drums. I decided to completely replace all 4 brakes. It was an easy job because Dexter supplies a complete replacement bolt-on kit. 4 bolts each brake and fasten the wires; done.

Edit: I should add I'm not a fan of the Dexter single point bearing lube system. It's very easy for even an experienced mechanic to add too much and blow the seal. I use Valvoline Synthetic chassis/bearing grease and now pop the hubs off for a repack.
Michigan

LoneWolf04

Quote from: Merlin on May 22, 2021, 08:20:07 PM
Edit: I should add I'm not a fan of the Dexter single point bearing lube system. It's very easy for even an experienced mechanic to add too much and blow the seal. I use Valvoline Synthetic chassis/bearing grease and now pop the hubs off for a repack.

I second Merlin and not a fan of the dexter single point bearing lube system for the seal blow out reasons. I pull the drums one side at a time (tandem axle), use an ultrasonic cleaner for the bearings, and then repack with Valvoline Synpower (Synthetic) Grease.

I used to use Mobil 1 synthetic grease, but it seemed to separate like crazy just sitting in the garage.

Merlin

Quote from: LoneWolf04 on May 26, 2021, 10:48:24 AM
Quote from: Merlin on May 22, 2021, 08:20:07 PM

I second Merlin and not a fan of the dexter single point bearing lube system for the seal blow out reasons. I pull the drums one side at a time (tandem axle), use an ultrasonic cleaner for the bearings, and then repack with Valvoline Synpower (Synthetic) Grease.

I used to use Mobil 1 synthetic grease, but it seemed to separate like crazy just sitting in the garage.

Yup, I got tired of cleaning up the red mess from Mobile 1. And of course once the oil runs out of it the carrier can't lube as well

Can you provide a link to your ultrasonic cleaner? That sounds good.
Michigan

dlb53151

That's my fear about shooting the grease into the bearings versus repack.  Don't want to blow a seal.  We've put probably 5k or so miles on the trailer since we had the bearings repacked 5 yrs ago.  I don't trust myself doing the bearings repack. Any thoughts?  Take it in since it's been 5 yrs?

Merlin

Quote from: dlb53151 on May 26, 2021, 11:19:29 PM
That's my fear about shooting the grease into the bearings versus repack.  Don't want to blow a seal.  We've put probably 5k or so miles on the trailer since we had the bearings repacked 5 yrs ago.  I don't trust myself doing the bearings repack. Any thoughts?  Take it in since it's been 5 yrs?

5k miles is fine for properly greased bearings and good quality seals. BUT, you never know if the previous job was done well enough to go more than 5 years, so yes, for sure take it in and have the bearing and seals done and brakes checked.
Michigan

dlb53151

Yep - found a place that will do it same day tomorrow in Milwaukee area for $200 for both axles.  A blown bearing would definitely throw a wrench into a trip!!  (One place quoted $400 with a 5 week wait!!!).

dlb53151

Good news, the bearings were in great shape.  Ironically I could have gotten another season in before needing repacking but better safe than sorry..... Brakes have 50% remaining.  Good to go

gbpack

That's good to hear. Yes, brakes can last a long time if they're set up correctly. Last summer I took the camper in for probably it's 5th bearing repack. We had about 25,000 miles on the trailer at that time, so I was fully prepared to hear that we needed new brakes as well since they were still the originals. But the guy said they were still good for a while yet! This summer we're on a 3-month camping trip and will probably put another 10,000 miles on the camper, so I'm thinking that I'll have them change out the brakes (along with another bearing repack) when we get back.

Paul

I have about 15k km on mine, last year I asked the dealer to repack my bearing and inspect the brakes. I didn't do an inspection yet this year. We also have required annual inspection here but it seem like at some place they don't check the brakes I have to ask for it. This year I plan to go at the end of the season in October to get everything inspected.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS