Entry Door Lock

Started by dlb53151, August 06, 2021, 02:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlb53151

Have any others experienced problems with the entry door lock?  Arriving back late to our trailer a couple nights ago our lock did not work and we had to ruin our kitchen window shade to have a neighbor kid reach through it to open the door from inside....

If so, any recommendations for replacement locks (including electronic options)?  Most reviews show problems ;(

On a separate note we will have to figure out how to replace the shade.  Any info on that would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powder Hounds

The failed lock problem.

We are on lock number 4. I have not found a good brand yet. Between the lock failing or the keys breaking off in the cylinder, I'm now conditioned, will it open?  When I operate the lock it is like I'm performing brain surgery! Slow, gentle, not too much force.  I now change the lock set every 2 years regardless. A little graphite lube and some grease on the cylinder cover helps but I think it is the luck of the draw.

Your blind unit comes as a complete window. To my knowledge they don't sell individual replacement parts. Finding a window is an epic quest.

All the best!

Merlin

My experience has been that you can forestall door lock problems for a long time by keeping the internal screws tight and using plenty of lubrication. I removed the inner cover and removed the very loose screws, them tightened them back in with Loctite Blue. That keeps everything lined up so the mechanism works smoothly. Grease inside on the moving parts and silicone lube in the keyhole makes things easy to turn. Also lube the striker plate on the door so nothing binds.

I don't know of any brands better than others and I suspect many have a common manufacturer. There are some now that open with a BT smartphone app, so no key routinely needed.

If you find a source of the screen/shade combo that comes in relevant sizes, a lot of folks on here would consider you for RV sainthood. Those are wearing out for a lot of us.  :P
Michigan