Refrigerator problems

Started by Paul, May 18, 2022, 01:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Our refrigerator is not working anymore. I see that there is a yellow powder which I believe is due to an ammonia leak. I probably need a new refrigerator or is it repairable?
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Merlin

I wonder what caused the leak. I have no idea about repair.
Michigan

Paul

I have found someone that can fix those fridge. The fridge doesn't go out through the door so he only took the cooling unit with him. The cost will be about 1400$ CAD. It was a bit hard to get out since its in a thight spot. I asked him what happens if you need a brand new fridge, he said sometime we can get it in through a big window or else we have to remove the slide to get it in.

2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

keeena

Is that fridge OEM? What make? Asking because it looks to be very well insulated. The Dometic in my VRV looks nothing like that and only has some loose batt fiberglass stuffed around the sides.

Merlin

Yes, Paul's fridge is a Dometic and OEM. Dometic makes a wide variety of RV refrigerators!
Michigan

Paul

Quote from: keeena on December 14, 2022, 02:50:47 PMIs that fridge OEM? What make? Asking because it looks to be very well insulated. The Dometic in my VRV looks nothing like that and only has some loose batt fiberglass stuffed around the sides.

The person repairing it said there was Dometic made in China and some that were not. He showed me a Chinese one I wish had took a picture. You could see the quality difference.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

PDX David

I got frustrated with my OEM Dometic(after trying every imaginable fix to improve performance), ripped it out and replaced it with a 12volt fridge.

20221005_103455.jpg

Gained some space for storage. Not a drain on my battery (with solar). Had to do some improvising and problem solving along the way but happy with result.

[Sorry, not sure why photo shows up twice.]

Merlin

Very nice! Good move to go 12V. What is the cubic foot capacity and where did you buy it?
Michigan

PDX David

RecPro.com

One I got was 3.3 cf.  They have other sizes too.

Other than removing the old fridge (which you basically have to take apart to get through the door), biggest challenge was sealing the two vents on rear of trailer. I tried a couple of things which failed before fiberglassing over them and that seems to have solved the problem.

.....David