Fridge cooling

Started by MitchB, July 18, 2019, 10:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chappy133

I put the same fan in as Merlin. We are camped at the beach in Sea Girt, NJ during the "heat wave" and the ice cream in the freezer is frozen.

No data on the fan but our rear with the fridge is pointed into the sun so I believe having some air flow has to help.

The heat index yesterday was 108 F.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

dlb53151

Merlin - I like that Valtera fridge fan mod.  My electrical abilities are limited to changing out home outlets and light switches.  How difficult is it to hardwire that fan into the 12v in the compartment?  I suppose I could hire an electrician to do that if it is a really beneficial mod.  Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mojospeople

Last week we were camping in 95 degree and high humidity conditions. Like others here I have added a couple fans inside the outer fridge compartment to move air but sometimes it seems it just needs more flow so this is what I tried. I plugged this fan in and left it running the entire 4 days and all our food stayed good and cold. It moved a lot of hot air out of the compartment.

Merlin

Now that's a fan! I'll bet you could even turn down the fridge controls a bit!
Michigan

Merlin

Quote from: dlb53151 on July 12, 2020, 01:57:33 AM
Merlin - I like that Valtera fridge fan mod.  My electrical abilities are limited to changing out home outlets and light switches.  How difficult is it to hardwire that fan into the 12v in the compartment?  I suppose I could hire an electrician to do that if it is a really beneficial mod.  Thanks

Yours is probably the same fridge compartment as mine. I'll take and post a photo of the wiring. You need to splice into a 12V positive and connect the negative to a ground point, plus add a fuse. One of us on here can talk you through it and it's as easy as changing an outlet or switch and no risk of shock.
Michigan

GrampaKilt

Quote from: mojospeople on July 12, 2020, 12:08:23 PM
I plugged this fan in and left it running the entire 4 days and all our food stayed good and cold. It moved a lot of hot air out of the compartment.
To misquote Pinstriper, you can never have enough fan!  :D

This is my first summer since adding 12V squirrel cage fans to the bottom and top fridge vents and controlled by a temp sensor. In western Canadalands, this year we haven't come close to the temps you've encountered, but for the first time, I can run my fridge on the low setting and even then, I've had to increase the temp at which those fans turn off to keep the inside fridge temp above 37F. Currently, I think it's 95F. GK

dlb53151

Thanks Merlin!!'

Sylvain

Quote from: Merlin on July 12, 2020, 12:26:20 PM
Quote from: dlb53151 on July 12, 2020, 01:57:33 AM

Yours is probably the same fridge compartment as mine. I'll take and post a photo of the wiring. You need to splice into a 12V positive and connect the negative to a ground point, plus add a fuse. One of us on here can talk you through it and it's as easy as changing an outlet or switch and no risk of shock.

Looking forward to that photo Merlin!  I want to do the fan mod too!

Thanks

Merlin

I can't figure out how to post my photos........

@Paul , is there a file size limit?
Michigan

Paul

Quote from: Merlin on July 12, 2020, 05:19:24 PM
I can't figure out how to post my photos........

@Paul , is there a file size limit?

@Merlin
The size limit is hight enough shouldn't be a problem, can you email me the pictures I'll give it a try
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Paul

Posting for Merlin
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Merlin

Thanks Paul.

The photo of the fan shows its placement in the upper cabinet pointing up. It's the Valterra brand. https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2618VP-FridgeCool-Exhaust-Fan-12/dp/B002N5YDG2

The photo of the cabinet shows where I tapped into the 12V DC. The red positive wire from the fan goes into the orange wire hole and the black negative wire goes into the white wire hole in the DC junction block. I put a 2A Littlefuse holder (that has a yellow wire in/out) in the positive wire and used crimp type heat shrink connectors to make the connections. After I took the photos I redid the wire ties that normally button everything up.

All told, it was probably an hours worth of fun. The thermostat on the fan works fine; running on warm days or in the sun and turning off at night. I'm convinced the additional air circulation in that cabinet is what contributed to being able to turn the fridge controls down one number and yet maintain proper temps. ( I have a hanging thermometer inside the fridge and check it every opening.)
Michigan

Sylvain

Thanks for the photos and all the information Merlin!

Sylvain

Merlin,
Do you know at which temperature the fan activates?

Merlin

On at 100F and off at 80F. So in typical summer temps here in Michigan, it runs afternoon/evening and is off night/morning. Unless the compartment is in the direct sun, then on all but early morning.

Michigan