Door Seals & Rain Gutter

Started by rideandfly, June 28, 2015, 10:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rideandfly

Our top door seal leaked occasionally during heavy rain. Our 2010 CampLite 11 door has square corners and later model CampLite TTs have round corners with gutters, probably less likely to leak.  This door did not have a gutter above it, so installed a piece of aluminum angle to deflect water and installed gutter. Had awning removed during photos, decided to use vintage style awning, another story.

The original door seal size installed:

EPDM Black Rubber Bulb Seal Dome Shaped 5/8" wide & 3/8" tall McMaster-Carr Part # 93085K14 for $0.81 per foot

Decided to use the original sized bulb seals around the hinges where there's less air gap compared to non hinge areas. Purchased larger bulb seal for the non-hinge areas.

Larger Seal:

EPDM Black Rubber Bulb Seal Dome Shaped 3/4" wide & 17/32" tall McMaster-Carr Part # 93085K68 for $1.00 per foot

Original seal on left and larger seal installed on right:

Prepping for new seal:

New seal fit:

Aluminum angle used purchased @ Lowes:

Angle installed above door with enough room for aluminum angle gutter with adhesive on one side secured with sheet metal screws:

Purchased 1/2"X1/2"X1/16" thick aluminum angle and attached it with three self tapping metal screws. Sealed between the angles with silicone adhesive/sealant.

Door seals & gutter working fine, no issues!
Bill

Paul

2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

jonloma

Thank you for the write up.  We've had water problems with the door ever since we picked up our 2010 model.  I just finished the rain gutter mod.

We're faced with replacing the door as it is deteriorating from the inside out, so we'll wait until the new door is installed before upgrading the bulb seal.

https://goo.gl/photos/CurUf82M3KXNXzM39

rideandfly

Your gutter looks nice!

Thinking about replacing the inner door panel with aluminum sheet metal later this year or the first of next year. The doors are made by Challenger and believe the inner panel is made out of Luan. From what I can see the rest of the door is made out of aluminum except for the Styrofoam sandwiched between the outer aluminum & inner Luan door panels with aluminum tubing, too. Also enlarged three holes in the bottom of the door to allow any moisture to drain freely. Believe the 90 degree angles on the top of the door instead of round corners allow more leakage, too. We were camping about a week ago in heavy rain without any door issues.

During a visit to LivinLite about a week ago, we talked about their doors still being made by Challenger for LivinLite.

Will post photos of the inner door sheet metal installation during that project, too.

Bill

Paul

Quote from: rideandfly on August 22, 2015, 09:15:19 PM
Believe the 90 degree angles on the top of the door instead of round corners allow more leakage, too.

My 2015 model the corner of the door is round, maybe they changed it because of that problem?
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

jonloma

Thank you.  My wife and I spent the weekend working on the camper, washing the outside, and making a list of items to fix.

We emailed Livin Lite about a replacement door this weekend, and we're waiting to hear back.  As you can see in the linked photo of the door, it's not in the best shape.

https://goo.gl/photos/AVDNPM3Lnz6C6E2S6

Our model 12 sat on a dealer lot for three years when we found it, and it had been used at a few shows and had a little damage, but we got a good price for it.

Jon

rideandfly

Quote from: Paul on August 24, 2015, 08:18:43 AM
Quote from: rideandfly on August 22, 2015, 09:15:19 PM
Believe the 90 degree angles on the top of the door instead of round corners allow more leakage, too.

My 2015 model the corner of the door is round, maybe they changed it because of that problem?

Later model CampLites have rounded corners on the tops of the door. Assume it's a better design than the 90 degree corners, but only test info I have is experience with our unit.  Better now after installing new seals & gutters.
Bill

rideandfly

Quote from: jonloma on August 24, 2015, 09:41:55 AM
Thank you.  My wife and I spent the weekend working on the camper, washing the outside, and making a list of items to fix.

We emailed Livin Lite about a replacement door this weekend, and we're waiting to hear back.  As you can see in the linked photo of the door, it's not in the best shape.

https://goo.gl/photos/AVDNPM3Lnz6C6E2S6

Our model 12 sat on a dealer lot for three years when we found it, and it had been used at a few shows and had a little damage, but we got a good price for it.

Jon

Please let us know how it works out with the new door!

Bill

jonloma

Hmm... emails to parts@livinlite.com are being bounced back - 'invalid recipient'.  It's still listed on their website.  We'll see what 'service@livinlite.com' results in.

Jon L.

rideandfly

Don in service should be able to help!
Bill

jonloma