Suggestions on where to install outside sensor for weather station?

Started by nhlakes, September 05, 2018, 06:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhlakes

We ordered a simple weather station for the camper.  Now I need to find a place to install the external sensor that will be out of direct sunlight, secure, and easy to get to to remove/install batteries.  Before I look, I figured I'd ask here in case anyone else has done something similar and experimented with different locations....

charliem

There are several options, none perfect. Functionally the best is to put a small lanyard on the sensor and hang it on the shady side of the TT. Inconvenient in that you have to move it as the sun moves. You also have to add it to your departure checklist so you don't drive off with it hanging, however it does produce semi-accurate air temps. Another option is the small black box on the tongue that used to house the emergency brake battery. This assumes you originally had one and have removed it per my previous posts. The box is black so it should be painted white. Paint it with a good primer and brush on enamel. Spray paints leads to quick flaking and is a waste of time. It also needs holes drilled to provide air flow. It's positioned such that it gets about as much shade as is possible in a fixed location. That's what I'm doing and it works fairly well. Easily accessible for battery replacement and no worries about leaving it behind.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

nhlakes

Thanks - if anyone else has any suggestions - keep them coming!  Will try some location before we head out again on Sat (just got home yesterday) but very busy between now and then so will likely not be an elegant attempt first time around.

rickyz1

I put mine under the entry steps in the shade and use dual lock 3m Velcro, strong adhesive and hard to separate. Like Charlie said put it on your checklist so it doesn't get wet and muddy while on the road.
2017 8.5x24 Ford Quick Silver
Onan 5500/ Fuel Station

tinkeringtechie

Quote from: rickyz1 on September 06, 2018, 09:59:11 AM
I put mine under the entry steps in the shade and use dual lock 3m Velcro, strong adhesive and hard to separate. Like Charlie said put it on your checklist so it doesn't get wet and muddy while on the road.

That's exactly where I put mine except I just leave it there... no issues so far.

nhlakes

Are you guys attaching it to the actual step? Or up above where the steps are stored?

tinkeringtechie

I have it stuck to the aluminum angle that the step is attached to. It makes a nice little shelf that's slightly below the floor of the trailer, but in the shade.

nhlakes

Quote from: tinkeringtechie on September 07, 2018, 10:20:47 AM
I have it stuck to the aluminum angle that the step is attached to. It makes a nice little shelf that's slightly below the floor of the trailer, but in the shade.
Yep, that is where mine has. Even resting.  Will Velcro in place today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbpack