Is water leak damaging anything

Started by Paul, July 21, 2015, 12:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Since camplite are all aluminium I am curious to know if something will get damaged in the camplite if there is let's say a roof leak. Could it damage the foam insulation?  Cause any other damage I am not aware of? Or is it simple as fixing the leak by redoing the caulking and nothing else to worry about?
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

PEIslander

Quote from: Paul on July 21, 2015, 12:47:09 PM
Or is it simple as fixing the leak by redoing the caulking and nothing else to worry about?

Yes, I'd say it is as simple as that. The foam they used is expanded polystyrene. Although it will absorb water if saturated for a long time (as can happen when it is used for floats in a raft or floating dock) it is unlikely the trailer will see enough water to have deleterious effects on the insulation system.
"Beer is proof that God loves us" - Ben Franklin

Merlin

Might depend a bit on where the leak is, because water would not be good on the electrical connections. LL uses a type of non-waterproof connector that can be subject to corrosion if it stays wet for too long. And I don't know what too long is. There are also quite a few places in the fridge, furnace, and water heater where water would not be good in any quantity (like the circuit boards). So, structurally we're good, just watch for water in the wrong places inside.
Michigan

Scout

Also in the freeze thaw/cycle, in Canada and the northern states, you may see ice expand and create mechanical damage to joints, plumbing, fixtures, etc...that is if you store your unit outside during the winter.... :o