Long term review, who's got the oldest and hows it holding up?

Started by pjcd, January 17, 2017, 02:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcd

Mine actually has a dimple the size of a softball, when level, it'll pool water.

Bronco2004

Thanks for everyone's input, it's very helpful--I'm a newbie and I'm about to take a plunge and get an early 2017 21BHS.  Sticker says 6/16 "Shipshewana" so it must have been right after KZ took over. 

I'm concerned about the mentions of welding issues.  It sounds serious but doesn't seem like a deal breaker to you guys. 

If I can ask a few questions:

1. What should I be looking for in detecting weld issues?

2. How was the warranty process for fixing it?

3. Do you have concerns that if there are weld issues where detectable, there might issues in areas where not visible?

Thanks!

DavidM

Weld failures will probably only show up after months of use, particularly after driving down gravel/washboard roads. Get underneath with a flashlight and look at every joint for weld cracking. If you go to the archives you will see pictures of cracked welds on the old site. You should be able to access almost everywhere but there may be some blind spots.

Weld repair is obviously covered by LL's warranty but I will bet that LL will go far beyond the warranty cut off date to fix weld cracks at no cost. It might take some pushing (and negative publicity here and on the official LL website) to make it happen.

David

pjcd

Not only cracked welds, but missing welds or places where they only tacked the joints in place.

PEIslander

I ordered my small but mighty CL11FDB in the spring of 2012. I picked it up at the factory early in July while the factory was on its annual summer vacation break. (In northern Indiana where a large percentage of North American RVs are manufactured - including Livin Lites - all the manufacturers & suppliers close at the same time). The factory considered mine to be a 2013 model. At the time I ordered, the "orbit" front was an option. By the time mine was manufactured it had become the standard for the 2013 model year. I still had to pay the 'option' cost.  :P In the 2012 model year Azdel interiors had become standard. I paid extra to have them build mine with aluminum interior walls and Azdel wood grain on the cabinets. When I ordered I didn't want the A/C and they gave me a credit. When my trailer was being manufactured one of the workers was in robot mode and he cut the wall opening for an A/C just like he did typically on all the other Camplites. I had a panic call from the factory offering a free A/C - I accepted. Had I not they would have needed to have a replacement wall made and that would have screwed up the assembly line. The old Wakarusa factory had the trailers & truck campers really packed in there during assembly. I toured with no workers around and really couldn't imagine how they would safely work when everybody was there. There really wasn't much room for the workers. They build the Quicksilvers in another building that I didn't tour.   

I've never had any warrantee work done. The interior of my trailer still looks brand new. I really like having the aluminum walls. Outside it looks almost new - still very good other than a few minor dents from my grizzly bear encounter and a few other stupid things I did. Currently my fridge won't run on propane without starting a fire. I'll probably get that fixed this year. It's still winter here so I have a few months to figure out how to fix it myself.
"Beer is proof that God loves us" - Ben Franklin

leslie

PEIslander - A grizzly bear attacked your mighty 11? Perhaps yours should be considered a MIGHTY 11. How did this come about? Are Camplites especially attractive to grizzlies? Details, please.

JGHamrick

We are first and only owners of 2013 BHB Camplite trailer. Love it!!  It towed easily, easy to clean, just the right size, and sound as a dollar.
Largely routine things replaced to date - tires, white plastic roof vents, added max air covers, replaced plumbing roof vent pipe covers.
Upgrade mattress, added storage, changed lights to LEDs, recovered upholstery for warmer look, mounted TV and DVD player, mounted square PVC pipe on bumper to hold drain pipes, and added foam lock together flooring squares.
Only sort-of-big thing is replacing sidewall mounted AC. We had had leaking problems with it. Once we removed it, we knew why- no drain holes in the unit. Livin Lite built the box right, but with no Danco weepholes, it ran over frequently. New unit ordered, and we WILL. Drill weep holes prior to installation.
We are in desperate need to replace the external AC sidewall cover. UV deteriorated it and we need a new one just like old one. Not available from Livinlite and no leads. HELP appreciated.

Merlin

Quote from: JGHamrick on April 06, 2017, 10:44:39 AM
We are first and only owners of 2013 BHB Camplite trailer. Love it!!  It towed easily, easy to clean, just the right size, and sound as a dollar.
Largely routine things replaced to date - tires, white plastic roof vents, added max air covers, replaced plumbing roof vent pipe covers.
Upgrade mattress, added storage, changed lights to LEDs, recovered upholstery for warmer look, mounted TV and DVD player, mounted square PVC pipe on bumper to hold drain pipes, and added foam lock together flooring squares.
Only sort-of-big thing is replacing sidewall mounted AC. We had had leaking problems with it. Once we removed it, we knew why- no drain holes in the unit. Livin Lite built the box right, but with no Danco weepholes, it ran over frequently. New unit ordered, and we WILL. Drill weep holes prior to installation.
We are in desperate need to replace the external AC sidewall cover. UV deteriorated it and we need a new one just like old one. Not available from Livinlite and no leads. HELP appreciated.

I don't know about the specifics of the AC sidewall cover you need, but at least of couple of us here on the forum like the RV Upgrade Store for parts and equipment. I would recommend calling/emailing them to see what might work (or poking around on their web site yourself to see what you can find.)

https://www.rvupgradestore.com
Michigan

JGHamrick

Thank you. Will contact them here is a pic of the original one (not on my RV).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWBF350

I'm very happy with my 2 year old '15 Bearcat FK16 Toyhauler purchased in April 2015, made in 2014.
I've had a few issues,
1.-One very serious and Livin-lite fixed it 100%, that was the poorly mounted Tongue Ball Mount, I never did get a straight Answer from Livin-lite on who installed it in the 1st place. Factory or Dealer? Some Dealers do install the Tongue ball mount as some also install the battery box/propane bottles.

2.-The Battery mount was weak too as the installer busted one of the hold down bolts off. Good thing I found this busted bolt as the next trip I might have lost my Bearcat Battery as only one bolt was securing down the battery box.

3.-Brand new and the 1st time I went out camping 2 weeks after I purchased the Bearcat I had a water leak so bad I couldn't use my fresh water w/o pumping out water onto the ground every time I turned on the water pump, good thing I took a extra 21 gallons of water along, dry camping. The Factory busted the fill water fitting on the backside where it mounts to the side of the trailer, a hard find but easy fix with a new $1.68 fitting. The water system couldn't pressurize all because of this broken fitting.

4.-The H2O fresh water tank lacked two needed additional support brackets. After dealing with a very bad sagging in the middle of the H2O tank and bacteria growing where the water in the tank could not be used or drained out completely, two new additional support brackets were installed, problem fixed.

I have had no other issues come up and I do use my Bearcat Toyhauler allot, heavy use from May through October.
2015 Bearcat FK16 Toyhauler, Awning, Rear slide down Bug Screen, 9200btu a/c, Micro/convection oven, Fantastic Fan, 2 additional Power Fans, Front Power Jack, 24" LED TV, portable 150Watt solar panels, interstate 6v  Batteries, Dual Propane tanks.

gibby

We have a 2014 21RBS, we have had to replace the entire slide mechanism this past off season due to it not closing straight (top to bottom). and after 3 trips to the RV dealer and big $$$$$ (the dealer was a Slide OEM and Livin' Lite dealer), that being said, Livin' Lite did step up with some parts so good on them. We have not had a chance to try it out yet when camping.

We also had the get the Grey water tank vent adjusted too (vent too far down).
2014 21RBS
2121 F150 Lariat ,  3.5 Ecoboost, 4X4, SuperCrew

Chappy133

Quote from: charliem on January 26, 2017, 09:40:49 AM
Quote from: pjcd on January 26, 2017, 09:16:45 AMI would assume thats a common problem, some worse then others, mine looks like sh*t, but no leaks so far. The new TT's have the TPO or rubber or what ever material and the transition from the roof to the front cap is smooth.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The TPO roof is warranted for 10 years or the first encounter with a tree limb, which ever occurs first. The aluminum roof will outlive you, wrinkles and all  :D .

Just had a potential buyer back out of the sale our 16 TBS because he thought the roof had structural damage.  I tried to explain to him that is how they come from the factory.  I know it is not pretty but is is all aluminum and remember this post from five years ago.  He had a long drive and did not want to risk it.  His loss in my opinion.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

Merlin

Quote from: Chappy133 on May 10, 2023, 10:00:56 PM
Quote from: charliem on January 26, 2017, 09:40:49 AM
Quote from: pjcd on January 26, 2017, 09:16:45 AMI would assume thats a common problem, some worse then others, mine looks like sh*t, but no leaks so far. The new TT's have the TPO or rubber or what ever material and the transition from the roof to the front cap is smooth.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The TPO roof is warranted for 10 years or the first encounter with a tree limb, which ever occurs first. The aluminum roof will outlive you, wrinkles and all  :D .

Just had a potential buyer back out of the sale our 16 TBS because he thought the roof had structural damage.  I tried to explain to him that is how they come from the factory.  I know it is not pretty but is is all aluminum and remember this post from five years ago.  He had a long drive and did not want to risk it.  His loss in my opinion.

Bummer. Every single aluminum roof Camplite has the wrinkle in the front where the aluminum curves in 2 directions at the same time. It causes no problems and can't be seen from below. Definitely the buyer's loss if that was a dealbreaker.
Michigan