Backup Camera

Started by Paul, April 27, 2023, 09:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

I have managed so far without a camera but sometime I am alone backing it up and I always have to get out to check.i find it's not too bad when I backup in familar spot like my seasonal campground but when I go somewhere new i wish I had a camera. Is it worth it? Any recommandations on a good camera?
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Chappy133

I have the Garmin back up camera.  They are helpful but not accurate enough for me to not walk back and check. 
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

Merlin

I have a Voyager and agree with Chappy133. The resolution and perspective is not adequate for backing. Maybe some of the new systems with multiple camera options would work? My Voyager is great as a rear-view camera for going down the road.
Michigan

RV Squirrel

I have a Yada BT55815, but I would not recommend it.  The fisheye lens makes everything (including tailgaiting cars) seem too distant.  It's a wireless system, and the connection blacks out frequently.  The instruction manual says that the max signal range is 30 feet without obstruction.  I think that with the length of the truck and the camper I'm already exceeding 30 ft, and the fact that the camper is aluminum probably doesn't help.  I'm wondering if a system that had an external antenna system would be better (this one is built in to the camera and the display).

I'm looking to replace my current system, but new systems can cost well over $250... which is a bit pricey for me right now.  Amazon has cameras that are much less expensive, but I'm guessing that they aren't much better than what I have now. So I'm also interested in posts to this topic.

Merlin

I'm afraid it will be expensive to get a rear view camera with a reliable wireless connection. If you don't mind running wire, the cost goes way down and reliable connection is assured.
Michigan

RV Squirrel

Admittedly, a wired connection sounds more robust, and I like the cheaper price.  However, I'm thinking that I may already need to add heavy gauge wires/connectors for the DC-DC converter (to the lithium batteries) that I installed last year.  Given that I'm already using the 7-pin connector on the hitch, then using a wired connection for the camera will mean that I'll have three plugs/cables going between the tow vehicle and the trailer, not counting the break-away brake cable.  Do I need to be worried about tangled cables?  Is there a way to consolidate connectors somehow?  I've not used anything but the 7-pin connector before. 

I don't mean to horn in on Paul's post.  Should I start this in a new thread?

Merlin

Quote from: RV Squirrel on April 28, 2023, 11:03:47 PMAdmittedly, a wired connection sounds more robust, and I like the cheaper price.  However, I'm thinking that I may already need to add heavy gauge wires/connectors for the DC-DC converter (to the lithium batteries) that I installed last year.  Given that I'm already using the 7-pin connector on the hitch, then using a wired connection for the camera will mean that I'll have three plugs/cables going between the tow vehicle and the trailer, not counting the break-away brake cable.  Do I need to be worried about tangled cables?  Is there a way to consolidate connectors somehow?  I've not used anything but the 7-pin connector before. 

I don't mean to horn in on Paul's post.  Should I start this in a new thread?
The fact you may be running front to back wire anyway is a good thing. You can run the bundle together, at least as far as the trailer. Separate connectors won't be too much extra to do each hitching.

If you do go wireless, the type of signal is more important than antenna location. My Voyager has just small antennas on the screen and camera, but the WiSight technology holds a signal all the time. I think that locked in type of signal technology is what makes the good units so expensive

This is the perfect thread for the discussion  ;)
Michigan

Jackson

When first using our camper I Rube-Goldgberg a hard wired GoPro camera to a wireless TX at the trailer jack and then to video receiver in the TV. Unless you have the ambidexterity of a television green screen weather person I found the lefty-righty non-mirrored image coupled with the normally reversed reactions of backing up overwhelming for my limited abilities. I soloed the entire length of the Delaware river parking nightly in campgrounds for a about a week and quickly found the setup useless. Better to take your time jumping in and out of the TV to assess the situation. Slower, safer and a lot less frustration for me. There is no better replacement than a great travel companion that knows how to place themselves in mirror sight and understands the process.

RV Squirrel

I can understand Jackson's comment... I caved in the side of my TV door by hitting a tree stump that wasn't high enough to see outside the window.  There's alot to be said about jumping in and out! 

However, I'm still in the market for a camera system because I also need something that will let me know who's behind me in traffic.  Backing into a campsite would be a plus.  I've been doing some research... there are alot of options out there.  I'm still trying to understand the difference between "backup camera" and "observation camera".

RV Squirrel

I can understand Jackson's comment... I caved in the side of my TV door by hitting a tree stump that wasn't high enough to see outside the window.  There's alot to be said about jumping in and out! 

However, I'm still in the market for a camera system because I also need something that will let me know who's behind me in traffic.  Backing into a campsite would be a plus.  I've been doing some research... there are a lot of options out there.  I'm still trying to understand the difference between "backup camera" and "observation camera".  And ironically, I'm discovering that wired systems aren't necessarily cheaper.

Merlin, you said that you are using a Voyager WiSight system, which is wireless but seems to be working for you.  Is this with your CL 16TBS?  A number of the sites that I've visited do not recommend wireless systems with aluminum campers.  However, some wireless systems boast a range greater than 100 feet, which suggests that the dynamic range might be good enough for a shorter rig... perhaps even if it did have an aluminum camper.  You quoted the following, so I'm wondering if wireless might still be an option.

Quote from: Merlin on April 29, 2023, 05:44:46 PMIf you do go wireless, the type of signal is more important than antenna location. My Voyager has just small antennas on the screen and camera, but the WiSight technology holds a signal all the time. I think that locked in type of signal technology is what makes the good units so expensive

Merlin

Quote from: RV Squirrel on April 30, 2023, 11:30:48 PMI can understand Jackson's comment... I caved in the side of my TV door by hitting a tree stump that wasn't high enough to see outside the window.  There's alot to be said about jumping in and out! 

However, I'm still in the market for a camera system because I also need something that will let me know who's behind me in traffic.  Backing into a campsite would be a plus.  I've been doing some research... there are a lot of options out there.  I'm still trying to understand the difference between "backup camera" and "observation camera".  And ironically, I'm discovering that wired systems aren't necessarily cheaper.

Merlin, you said that you are using a Voyager WiSight system, which is wireless but seems to be working for you.  Is this with your CL 16TBS?  A number of the sites that I've visited do not recommend wireless systems with aluminum campers.  However, some wireless systems boast a range greater than 100 feet, which suggests that the dynamic range might be good enough for a shorter rig... perhaps even if it did have an aluminum camper.  You quoted the following, so I'm wondering if wireless might still be an option.

Quote from: Merlin on April 29, 2023, 05:44:46 PMIf you do go wireless, the type of signal is more important than antenna location. My Voyager has just small antennas on the screen and camera, but the WiSight technology holds a signal all the time. I think that locked in type of signal technology is what makes the good units so expensive

I know the Voyager WiSight digital system works fine with both a 16 and a 21 foot aluminum trailer. I bought mine because of the success @charliem had with his on a 21RBS. Mine is an older model no longer available and I think the closest one now is this. There may be better ones with a higher resolution display?

https://www.recpro.com/voyager-rv-wireless-backup-camera-with-4-monitor-diy-system/?campaignid=10108288062&adgroupid=129130413780&keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4ZGIy6XU_gIVMtDjBx29egK4EAQYCCABEgJtdPD_BwE
Michigan

RV Squirrel

Thanks for posting the link!  I'll be sure to consider Voyager models with WiSight's digital wireless.  It would be great to get something with a slightly larger display and higher resolution, with perhaps CCD sensor technology.  A review at https://campaddict.com/rear-view-camera/#ccd-or-cmos-sensor suggests that CCD may be a little newer/better than the CMOS technology incorporated in the Voyager model that you mentioned.  Of course, the site tends to endorse products from only one or two vendors, so I wonder if the review is biased.  Thanks again!

MikeT

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement camera for the Voyager WVOM541AP (wireless)?  I purchased this system back in 2016 but the camera now has moisture in it, sooo all I can see are the drops while travelling.  I have found a few but they are over 400.00!!, more than I paid for the entire unit.

Mike

GoElectric

This was a post I did on the one I installed years ago.  Still working great, and the company sent me a notice a couple months ago of having them on sale. It wasn't cheap, but as a EE "generally" wired beats wireless for reliability, quality signal, and durability.

Like GleamB, I used a wired system for the many advantages.  I too, added a backup camera to the tow vehicle since it would be easier to do while running the trailer wires.  Make sure whatever you buy, it can stand up to continuous duty.  Many cheap backup cameras are only meant for momentary use. It was time consuming, but not that hard except for a large hole for cabling through the firewall properly sealed. Night and day difference having that camera back there.  This is the one I used:

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/two-2-camera-backup-system-with-trailer-tow-quick-connect-disconnect-kit-model-rvs-776614-213.html

See all my details and pictures in this old post below:

2015 Livinlite 21 BHS owner in Ottawa Canada
Started by Poncherelly, June 12, 2015, 03:06:50 PM

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.  John 10:10