8.5x28 Quicksilver Tongue Weight

Started by PebblePrincess, August 21, 2017, 11:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PebblePrincess

So finally receive my Surline Tongue scale. With generator, 2 Upgraded propane bottles and 1 12v battery my tongue weight is 1100#. I was kinda surprised, any other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 8.5' x 28' Quicksilver
Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station

Diversteve

You are not alone. Many people assume they "know" the weight of their rigs.
The only way to know is to load up for a trip and head for the scales.
Thanks for being a safe vehicle operator.
Happy camping.

PebblePrincess

Next I'll be heading to the scales to check the weights with different loading situations. I was kinda surprised with the sway I'm seeing, need to determine if it's a weight transfer or loading issue.

Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station

SWBF350

That is allot, even with your WDH what is the rating on your Truck receiver? You may need to upgrade to a higher rated receiver, Etrailer.com is very good source for this upgrade, or you may want to go with a HD Pickup.
A HD Pickup, designed for towing really does make a difference and you don't have to go with the diesel engine, just try to get the lowest axle ratio like a 4.10 or 4.30's.
2015 Bearcat FK16 Toyhauler, Awning, Rear slide down Bug Screen, 9200btu a/c, Micro/convection oven, Fantastic Fan, 2 additional Power Fans, Front Power Jack, 24" LED TV, portable 150Watt solar panels, interstate 6v  Batteries, Dual Propane tanks.

ToolmanJohn

Quote from: PebblePrincess on August 21, 2017, 11:57:27 PM
So finally receive my Surline Tongue scale. With generator, 2 Upgraded propane bottles and 1 12v battery my tongue weight is 1100#. I was kinda surprised, any other thoughts?

Well, as I have found out, makers of living quarters toy haulers make the tongues HEAVY when empty. It is expected that you will load SOME of the cargo and weight (motorcycles, atv,SxS, whatnot) behind the rear axles. This will offset the heavy tongue.

The real problem is when you are NOT travelling "heavy load" and maybe you just want to go on a standard non-toy camping trip. Once you have water being used and into the gray and black tanks (usually in front of the axles) you have an even heavier tongue!! What about front storage? Propane tanks, batteries? Even heavier....

Water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon.  A full 45 gallon tank weighs 375 pounds. If the black tank is half way between the coupler and the front axle (front bathroom), this means about an extra 188 pounds of tongue weight!! You begin to see the issue. Then a 1/2 ton or even a 1 ton cannot safely tow that kind of tongue load. You would need a 2000 pound vehicle tongue weight rating to be safe. Which means a serious rear axle weight rating, heavy duty pickup truck land.

Having that Sherline Scale is definitely the right way to tow safely, keeping the tongue weight in line with the tow vehicle through proper cargo loading. Take it with you when camping too. Always good to know beofre heading home if things have radically changed.

PebblePrincess

Quote from: SWBF350 on September 01, 2017, 04:20:23 PM
That is allot, even with your WDH what is the rating on your Truck receiver? You may need to upgrade to a higher rated receiver, Etrailer.com is very good source for this upgrade, or you may want to go with a HD Pickup.
A HD Pickup, designed for towing really does make a difference and you don't have to go with the diesel engine, just try to get the lowest axle ratio like a 4.10 or 4.30's.
I am pulling with a Powerstroke F250 so the weight isn't an issue based on the posted weight capacity of the truck.

Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station

ToolmanJohn

With that truck you should be fine. Just find out what the hitch weight rating is (1500-2000 pounds?). Use that Sherline scale and don't exceed it.

If you think you're getting excessive sag and it influences the handling, look into A WD hitch with hanger style spring bar holders for the 8X2 inch A-Frame. You should NOT use bolt-through frame clamp style hangers. And you can't use weld on hangers either. There are a LOT of good WD hitches out there but they all start around $600.

I use a Blue OX WD hitch with 1000 pound spring bars for my ATC 7X20.

SWBF350

Quote from: PebblePrincess on September 08, 2017, 11:27:29 PM
Quote from: SWBF350 on September 01, 2017, 04:20:23 PM
I am pulling with a Powerstroke F250 so the weight isn't an issue based on the posted weight capacity of the truck.

OK, not a issue with the F250. I was going by your Tundra as your TV in your signature.
2015 Bearcat FK16 Toyhauler, Awning, Rear slide down Bug Screen, 9200btu a/c, Micro/convection oven, Fantastic Fan, 2 additional Power Fans, Front Power Jack, 24" LED TV, portable 150Watt solar panels, interstate 6v  Batteries, Dual Propane tanks.

PebblePrincess

Sorry to bring back an old thread but figured I would ask here. I have been using an Anderson WDH and still seem to have more sway than expected. Anyone have experience with this system on the 8.5x28 trailer. I'm just wondering if it is more trailer than this system can handle. I don't have excessive sag at the hitch so I don't believe it's a weight issue. I know the trailer has a big cross section so it's susceptible to wind.   

Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station

ToolmanJohn

Get rid of the Andersen Hitch, it really isn't suitable for heavy tongues. I found that out too. I paid for a new on before getting my toy hauler thinking it would be great, and I was very disappointed. They work very well for smaller trailers.

CHECK your tire pressures on the trailer and tow vehicle rear, make sure they are max. It makes a difference. Make sure you have proper trailer tow tires ST , NOT light truck LT radials on the trailer, they flex more.

I got a BlueOx with 1000 pound bars, and it works to settle down any side to side motion. Much better than Andersen IMHO.

Get the bars rated about your tongue weight. If your max would be 1100 pounds, get the next bars higher. My tongue weight,  for comparison is anywhere from 550 to 800 pounds loaded. I have 1000 pound bars. I keep thinking it would be good to have 800 pound bars when the tongue is lighter, but that's silly. I'll just live with it. It works.

rickyz1

Would like to say hello to all as a new member. I purchased a new 8.5x24 ford toy hauler 3 weeks ago. Picked up in Texas pulled to south florida. It pulled great but did notice heaver tongue weight than my other travel trailer. It had new battery, full propane tanks, full tank fresh water. Truck is a sierra 1500 6.0 gas with WDH 1000lbs bars.  I brought two friction sway controls but was unable to mount them at last minute. I want to clamp them on when I get a chance. Average speed was 65-75 mph with very little sway and lot of big rigs passing. Still have to see how it handles with my toys inside! When I picked up at dealer I checked for all the problems that livin lite owners have reported and only found aluminum shavings.  I ran everything and found nothing I could make them fix before I left. Got home and went throught it again and addressed a few things. Tie rapped hanging wires and covered from sharp edges, added a composite strip at outer edge of shower pan so water wouldn't run along edge, sealed inside fender wells for water splashing up there, added roof vent covers. Camped three times already, all good so far! already have ideas for added storage outside and some mods.
2017 8.5x24 Ford Quick Silver
Onan 5500/ Fuel Station

DavidM

Maybe it is the perspective, but your pic seems to show the rear end of your truck sagging low. Do you have the WDH bars set right? Come to think of it though, with your toys in the back the tongue weight should lighten up which should reduce rear end sag.

David

rickyz1

I noticed the pic looks like that but its very close to level. Also I think the ground was not level.
2017 8.5x24 Ford Quick Silver
Onan 5500/ Fuel Station