Highlands Hammock State Park, Sebring, FL

Started by djsamuel, June 24, 2015, 07:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsamuel

We spent 2 nights at the campground in Highlands Hammock State Park in Sebring, FL.  If our A/C hadn't failed, the trip would have been perfect; but as it was we still had a great time, although we did sweat a lot.

The campground is very nice, but a bit tight.  We had a decent size site, but some are very small and difficult to back in.  We reserved site 120, which is one of the pull through sites.  I would definitely recommend one in that area.

Here is the campground:

There is a nice museum for the Civilian Conservation Corps which built the park during the depression.  The museum was really interesting and the area around the building was very nice:

The trails were not very long, but they were very unique and beautiful.  We walked the loop road, about 3 miles, and took all of the trails off of that road.

The park is a very nice park and well worth a couple of days.  At only $23 a night (over 62 Florida residents $11.50) it is a great value as are the other Florida State Parks.  A person camping near us told us that once you get past mid June, the mosquitoes get awful for the rest of the summer; so plan accordingly.  He said Spring and winter are great times to come.  I would highly recommend this park.

Doug

rideandfly

Sorry to hear about the AC!

Great report, will camp at Hammock SP when we visit the Sebring light airplane gathering in the winter!

Thanks,
Bill

djsamuel

Quote from: rideandfly on June 24, 2015, 10:11:49 AM

Great report, will camp at Hammock SP when we visit the Sebring light airplane gathering in the winter!

Thanks,

Should be great in the winter.  Just make your reservations early since the winter folks that come down may fill it up fast.

Pick up the camper after lunch today.  The A/C was replaced under extended warranty.  They also had to order a new rotary switch.  I never knew I was supposed to have multiple fan speeds!

Paul

hi djsamuel thank you for taking the time to share your picture ! now i want to go to florida!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

rideandfly

Quote from: djsamuel on June 24, 2015, 11:26:13 AM
Quote from: rideandfly on June 24, 2015, 10:11:49 AM

Thanks,

Should be great in the winter.  Just make your reservations early since the winter folks that come down may fill it up fast.

Pick up the camper after lunch today.  The A/C was replaced under extended warranty.  They also had to order a new rotary switch.  I never knew I was supposed to have multiple fan speeds!

Thanks!

We have two cooling speeds on our 13.5 Coleman and use both speeds! Hi for fast cool and low for continuous run.
Bill