Two propane tanks on 13QBB??

Started by Sylvain, September 29, 2019, 08:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidM

AFAIK, it is not against the law. And why would it be? It is safe and propane fridges are built with safety systems such as those that shut the gas off if the pilot is out.

David

Merlin

An article in the current issue of Trailer Life magazine says it's legal in the U.S. and Canada to operate a propane appliance while underway. There are some tunnels that restrict use and it's common sense to shut off while refueling, but otherwise propane use is ok. It works FAR better than DC to keep the fridge cool. In fact, 3-way operation refrigerators are becoming rare.
Michigan

DavidM

Yes, propane works much better than DC or even AC. About shutting down while refueling:

The propane burner is an open flame and theoretically could ignite spilled gasoline. But when I gas up, the back of the trailer where the fridge burner is located is about 20' away from the pump, so I think it is ok. If someone backed up to your trailer and started fueling up 5' away then I might be concerned.

David

Merlin

I agree. I should have written it's common sense to shut off the propane in some situations when refueling. I, in fact, don't usually do so for reasons DavidM mentioned.
Michigan

Sylvain

Thank you so much guys!  This forum is so great, I learned a lot of stuff in that thread!

GrampaKilt

Great discussion as usual.

About adding another battery. Added another Trojan on our 14 DB, frame size is the same as the 13, and all is well. Here is a link to the attachment structure I made. https://aluminumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=868.msg7709#msg7709

Given that I look at my LL as a generational purchase, I'm looking forward to lithium as my next battery purchase, preferably well into the future. (Maybe I should start saving up now!) I may even make my own. Will Prowse seems to be the YouTube guru on all matters lithium. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoj6RxIAQq8kmJme-5dnN0Q  GK

Sylvain

Thanks for the links GK.  So you have dual propane tanks and dual batteries on the same tongue/frame as our 13QBB, that's great news!  I was not sure how I was going to make a larger batterie rack for our new battery.  I thought it was not recommended to screw aluminium angle directly into the frame but I see that's exactly what you did so I'll do the same.  Much easier than having it welded.

GrampaKilt

The original single battery holder was screwed on, I saw no reason not to do the same. For good measure (and to avoid screws becoming loose from vibration), I add my favorite glue, PL Premium, to the joint. Lately, however, I'm finding clear silicone is also an excellent 'glue'.

On another topic, I just returned from the Eastern Townships of Quebec, near your home, I believe. About the only words I can use to describe the collective beauty of that area is c'est magnifique. (Magnifique in french sounds more majestic than the english version :) ) GK

Sylvain

Yes the colors are just amazing around here at this time of the year.  Next time plan a trip all around the Gaspesie peninsula at the same time of the year.  The colors are fantastic in the surrounding mountains and the views on the Gulf of St-Lawrence are amazing!