Winterizing the ATC toy hauler, sanitizing in the Spring

Started by ToolmanJohn, October 22, 2017, 01:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToolmanJohn

So I had an interesting issue when trying to sanitize the fresh water tank this past August. I found out the water inlet has a small spring loaded back-flow preventer.

I could only use the winterization port for sanitizing the fresh water lines themselves, but not the fresh tank or the pickup line from the tank to the pump. I ended up having to use a drill pump, which took forever to get 5 gallons of bleach and water solution into the fresh tank. The back-flow preventer has a decently strong spring and the small drill pump had no real power to overcome it.

Wondering how I can cheaply get the bleach water solution into the fresh tank this Spring? Drill pump was just to aggravating to use. Thought of one of those siphon pumps, but haven't used one before so I'm not sure if it can develop enough pressure to siphon 5 gallons in to the 100 gallon tank.

MitchB

I don't have a toy hauler (regular camper here) but you don't have a standard gravity fill inlet as well as a city water inlet? How would you fill the tank if you were boondocking?
If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

Merlin

Does your freshwater inlet have 2 openings like the one n the link below? If so, the tank inlet is the port on the left and as pointed out by MitchB, it does not have a back flow preventer. Is there some other restriction in yours? Maybe a collapsed or pinched hose, or defective tank fitting?  The high pressure city water connection on the right may have a back flow preventer but that port is not connected to the tank. Or, at least it shouldn't be. Others on here have had a check valve failure that allowed water from the city water port to enter the freshwater tank, so that's worth checking out.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Water/Valterra/A01-2000VP.html
Michigan

ToolmanJohn

EXACTLY!!! There is no gravity fill. Only the pressured (hose) water inlet!!

I have included pictures of the water supply assembly. There is only my water and winterization ports.

ToolmanJohn

Merlin

Interesting! And complicated! I wonder why they don't have a gravity fill port for the freshwater tank?
Michigan

DavidM

I would remove that fancy water inlet box and replace it with the simpler one that is used on most CLs whch has a gravity fill port. You may need to do some additional plumbing to let the tank fill by gravity. Also if that switch I see is for the fresh water pump, you will have to move it inside like most CLs.

Sounds like a lot of work and is probably only justified if you go to NP, SP or USFS campsites that don't have pressurized water for filling the tank.

David

ToolmanJohn

Ok I'll check out what can be done.

Hopefully a new  box that can add gravity fill. Otherwise I might have to carry an electric water pump and 5 gallon bucket, fill bucket and pump into fresh tank..Eeesh... I'll find a better way.

ADR

Whoa-  no gravity fill?     That wouldn't work for us.
We've been in USFS camps out west that have water but it is the old style hand pump.  Not that it is fun getting water that way but when it is the only choice...
One in particular I remember near Buena Vista CO had a 4ft long handle, you had to pump about a dozen strokes to get any water, if you kept pumping it kept coming but if you paused for even a few seconds to rest you had to start all over with the dozen pumps :P
It was quite a workout to get 5 gallons and tote it back to the camper- but as I said when you have no other choice...

ToolmanJohn

Ok then!

I did figure out a good way to introduce bleach water solution into the fresh water tank for sanitizing. I am using a modified instruction from watching someone remove water from an above ground pool cover.

1) My fresh water tank has a low point drain valve and spigot specifically for allowing water out of the tank. Liklely for winter. The spigot is barbed and I think I have discerened why.

2) Fill 2 a gallon pail with bleach and water. (5 gallon won't sit on my fender safely). Place the pail (or gallon jug of bleach) HIGHER than the drain, my fender is suitable for this)

3) Press fit a 3/8 inch vinyl hose to the low point drain barb fitting on the fresh tank.

4) open the valve for the drain and let the water flow from the tube

5)cover the tube end with my thumb, then quickly raise it into the air and send it to the bottom of the bleach pail of water ( I actually just put it directly into a gallon of bleach - 100 gallon fresh tank).

6) watch as the water in the tube now flows BACK down into the fresh tank, siphoning the bleach into the tank as well. It took about 2 minutes.

7) close the drain valve and fill the tank with fresh water from the city supply (this takes awhile). Run the faucets from the fresh tank through all the faucets including the outdoor shower. Both hot and cold sides. Only need to do this once bleach can be smelled coming out of each faucet.

8) take it for a drive so it sloshes into the top of the fresh tank, sanitizing th entire thing. let it sit overnight.

8) drain the fresh tank in the morning, open the drain valve.

9) connect to the city supply again, flush the water from all faucets again with clean water, also fillthe fresh tank, then runt he pump from the fresh tank to clear all water lines, also open the hot and cold drains to clear bleach water .

10) drain it again overnight, ready for camping.