Toilet trouble

Started by FastEddieB, January 19, 2018, 06:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastEddieB

Quote from: tinkeringtechie on January 24, 2018, 11:04:40 AM
Most RV fridges do not have compressors. In fact they have no moving parts except maybe a fan. Does the heater coil/flame even turn on?

Weird data point...

I unplugged the fridge from AC to see if it would run on propane. It wouldn't and returned that E3 error code.

I opened the access panel with the intent of removing the metal cover to see what was going on with the flame.  As soon as I exerted pressure on the lower left screw, I hear "click click click click whoosh" as the burner lit. I thought that might get the fridge working, but soon thereafter had the E3 code and no flame or cooling.

If not a compressor, what would make cyclical moaning sounds from the fridge while working?

Edited to add: I dug up a video I made of the noisy fridge. Will post a Youtube link as soon as it uploads.

Here you go. Fast forward to about :35 for when it starts moaning.

https://youtu.be/Z8TKxHQW1U0

tinkeringtechie

Weird... the strange part is that the fan slows down too... so I'm guessing it's also 12V since they seem to be competing with each other. What's the model number of your fridge?

DavidM

Quote from: tinkeringtechie on January 24, 2018, 11:04:40 AM
Quote from: FastEddieB on January 24, 2018, 08:34:15 AM
On another topic, they'll also be troubleshooting our Dometic refrigerator. For quite a while the compressor was getting noisier, making "moaning" noises when it kicked in. Anyway, this trip up it gave up the ghost, not running on electric at all, and giving an E3 code when trying it on propane. Overtemp button not popped, and I see little else to check.

Most RV fridges do not have compressors. In fact they have no moving parts except maybe a fan. Does the heater coil/flame even turn on?

Why didn't I think of that. My aged mind must be getting befuddled. Thanks Tinkeringtechie for pointing out the fact that the RV fridge does not have any moving parts. It uses heat, propane or electricity, to make cold. I know that sounds weird, but it works that way.

I can't imagine what is causing the noise, much less why it doesn't work. Try starting it on 110V electricity and after a few minutes take off the cover on the outside and feel the heater stack. The stack is on the right side of the open panel, above the propane burner. It should be warm, particularly at the top where it exhausts. If not it could be a tripped breaker, but that won't explain the LPG error. Or more likely something internal to the fridge's cooling system or controls. If it won't work on electricity and the breaker is on then you need to take it to a Dometic service dealer and one that works on these absorption cooling type fridges.

David

Pinstriper

You say you "unplugged the fridge from AC to see if it would run on propane". Do you mean you disconnected a connecting wire harness of some kind at the refrigerator unit itself ?

Because the easiest way to accomplish this - unless you've done modifications to install a PDC with an inverter to provide AC power while running only off battery - would be disconnect at the pedestal.

I don't know about the connection, but if it is 3-pole AC, is it possible the ground is the ground for both AC and DC, at least for some part of the fridge ?

FastEddieB

Our refrigerator AC is via a standard household socket and plug that I just unplugged.

I also tried shutting down all DC power, disconnecting the battery and unplugging from shore power to see if the DC circuitry might reset. No go.

Not sure of the model #. Whatever came stock in a 2014 21BHS.

gglkap1

I have a CL21RBS 2015 with the 7 CF refrig. This is before Thor started using the 6 CF model. Yours might be the same model as mine. The Dometic RM3762 RBFX.  Also, you need to know the the flakes of residue from the heat of operation in the heat stack can fall down on the gas ignition and jets that can cause it to malfunction. At least once a year, I use compressed air to blow out any trash that can cause a problem. Since your unit is outside don't forget that insects/spiders can cause problems with nests/webs also.

Hope this helps

Gerald

FastEddieB

Thanks! I think that's our model number.

Would that also cause problems with the electric operation? I've gotten in there before to clear out a mud dauber nest from the gas jet so I know what you're talking about there.

DavidM

I don't think a blocked flue with a mud dauber's nest or whatever should affect electric operation. The electric coil doesn't need an exhaust stack. It simply heats the internal refrigerant coil.

David

charliem

Fasteddie,

Other than toilet and fridge problems, how's the airstrip homestead project going? Are you to the point of just flying back and forth?
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

FastEddieB

Quote from: charliem on January 24, 2018, 10:25:13 PM
Fasteddie,

Other than toilet and fridge problems, how's the airstrip homestead project going? Are you to the point of just flying back and forth?

I may fly up today to check on the last few days of progress. Frigidly cold weather has slowed things down a bit. We normally drive for now, so we can schlep our 3 dogs along.

Digging out the hillside and building retaining walls for our "pole barn" turned out to be a much bigger - and more expensive - job than I imagined. In any case some plumbing is going in now, in preparation for pouring the foundation.

Don't think I've posted this before, but I'm proud of the job Kool Karen did on this fun little trailer:

https://youtu.be/sfob68a8YmA

DavidM

Fifty years ago I got my private pilots license but haven't used it in 45 years. I have landed on a few grass strips, but nothing like that hole in the woods that you took her into. Great job on both the flying and the trailer production.

David

charliem

Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

FastEddieB

As a follow-up, the new toilet was $129, plus 1 1/2 hours labor. Not too bad.

After winterizing, has anyone considered leaving the hose feeding the pink stuff inserted interesting into a jug of it? That way you could still turn on the pump and flush with the pink stuff when needed.

The fridge repair deserves its own thread, coming soon.

DavidM

Your idea of leaving a jug of pink stuff to flush with should work fine. Assuming you are buying the full strength pink stuff, dilute it 50/50. It only takes maybe a pint of water to flush so you will get about 8 flushes with a gallon of diluted pink stuff.

David