Fishing Rigs, Boat, Canoe, Kayak

Started by pjcd, January 01, 2017, 07:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcd

Been bringing my double ender for last 15 years, last year I purchased a square stern and a 2.5 Suzuki. As much as I like to paddle,  its the last thing I want to do when heading in from fishing when the sun is going down. What do you bring?

Pinstriper

I was all set to take my Hobie Outback to Detroit Lake for Kokanee last may, but Mrs. P's friend and her husband decided to tag along, and he's a bankie, so I wan bank-bound as well. I still don't understand the logic behind that. Dudes don't talk while fishing anyway, so who cares if he's 2 mikes away ? We left together, both fished, came back together. What's the problem ?

It will be different this year. I don't care if he dits in the car, I'm gonna be on the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pjcd

I always looked at the  Hobie, but never took the plunge. How well does the propulsion system work? In my younger days, fishing always involved vast quantities of beer and lots of talking, maybe we didn't catch that much, (although, at times we did) but we had fun. As I grew older the combination of boats and beer have become frowned up, (rightly so).

Pinstriper

Quote from: pjcd on January 02, 2017, 10:15:18 AM
I always looked at the  Hobie, but never took the plunge. How well does the propulsion system work? In my younger days, fishing always involved vast quantities of beer and lots of talking, maybe we didn't catch that much, (although, at times we did) but we had fun. As I grew older the combination of boats and beer have become frowned up, (rightly so).

That day when you are in a saltwater bay trolling for salmon, fighting an outbound tide of 3kts and you still manage cover 4 miles of distance in 90 minutes to get home, you'll be glad you have the pedal drive.

I can cruise more or less indefinitely at 4kts, pound out 6kts for about an hour or two, and sprint the thing up to 10kts. Adjust from there for wind/tide/current. I can't do that with a paddle. I can drop 2 crab pots, troll for salmon or jig for rockfish for a few hours then bring home fish and crab. Can't do that in a recreational kayak. Yeah, it's all they're cracked up to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Merlin

We have Hobie tandem with dual peddle drives. The thing can really scoot when we have both had a good breakfast. However, that kayak also sails, and I much prefer the wind to do the work.
Michigan

pjcd

Pinstriper