2014 Ford Escape Led lights problem

Started by Paul, July 05, 2015, 04:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

The 2014 Ford Escape (I think the 2013 and 2015 too) is not compatible with led lights on the trailer (brake and signal lights) I have read on some forum that you can install resistors on the trailer 7 way plug I was wondering if someone had already done it if they can share how they did it. In the meanwhile I use an adapter that has built in resistor but it's annoying would prefer to have something on the trailer 7 way plug instead
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

rideandfly

Paul,

Installed a set of LED turn signals on a vintage motorcycle and needed to install an electronic flasher for the turn signals to operate properly.  Installed LED turn signals on another motorcycle and used plug & play inline resistors for the LEDs to work properly. Getting ready to replace 1156 & 1157 incandescent turn signal bulbs with LEDs on another motorcycle, need to purchase an electronic flasher for those LEDs to flash properly.

There's several good LED suppliers out there. I like dealing with Superbright LEDs, when I'm not sure what will  work, a quick call and they know what will work for my application.

I'm confident they can correctly answer your questions about LEDs, resistors, & flashers, if it's not answered here!
https://www.superbrightleds.com/

2014 Ford Escape:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/2014-ford-escape-se+sel-/20-494-216-/

Bill

Merlin

etrailer.com is a potential source of info too. A call/email to them might get you a trailer plug with built in resistors. However, unless you're willing to do some some wiring for installation, an adapter (superglued?) to your trailer plug like you're using now might be the best way to go.

As an interesting aside, LED lights are not a good idea on a snowmobile trailers. The lights don't run warm enough to melt the snow/ice off the lenses and they soon get completely covered.
Michigan

rideandfly

Good point on snowmobiles!    8)

I like running LEDs in everything possible, but assume it's a bad idea to run LEDs in my boat trailer light assemblies that are not sealed even though I disconnect the light connector before dipping the trailer lights!  :)
Bill