Hot weather refrigerator performance

Started by Pinstriper, June 24, 2017, 11:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Sanders

@FastEddieB, do you have an exhaust fan behind the fridge, or is yours stock.

(sorry if you've already answered this in a previous post.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Merlin

I just installed this Valterra fridge coil fan in the outside compartment of my Dometic 2 door fridge. I was reading about the record heat in Canada and since we are headed there shortly, I figured I'd give our fridge every benefit of the doubt. I can't vouch for longevity yet, but I can say the installation was extremely easy. Valterra provides a bunch of mounting options and the 12V power is right there in the compartment. I just screwed one of the mounting plates to the wall and hung the fan directly above the lower coils. I tested it and it comes on and goes off thermostatically right on cue. My only complaint was that it did not come with the recommended in-line fuse and really should have for the price. I added the fuse because 12V can go bad in a hurry (fire) if the wire insulation or a connection fails.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2618VP-FridgeCool-Volt-Exhaust/dp/B002N5YDG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531100069&sr=8-1&keywords=valterra+fridge+vent+fan
Michigan

MitchB

Has anyone added simple computer fans to the back airspace? I have several that are 12 volt and would work fine I think but I'd need some sort of controller. Also exactly where can we tap into 12 volt power in the back of the single door 5 cf model? RM 2554 I think, I'm not near the camper or the manuals at the moment and if I wait to ask these questions until I am I'll forget about the whole thing because that's what happens when you age and your brain turns to mush.
If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

ADR

I've run 2 12V computer fans in my Rpod fridge for 4 years.  They are hot glued to the lower louver door and suck air in, blows it through and it exhausts out the top louver door.. 
At the top is a simple thermostat used for attic fans.  Works well.

Here is the T'stat>
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TYK4A6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MitchB

Sounds like what I'm thinking. That tstat you linked is 120 volt though, I'd need 12 volt since I mostly boondock. Thanks for the response!
If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

ADR

It is a switch.  It doesn't care what you put through it AC or DC.   Been working fine for 4 years on 12V ;)

Diversteve

I added a 12vdc computer fan to ours.
I just used a toggle switch that i turn on as needed.
Very simple install and it works great.

gibby

Quote from: Diversteve on July 09, 2018, 09:27:33 PM
I added a 12vdc computer fan to ours.
I just used a toggle switch that i turn on as needed.
Very simple install and it works great.

Same thing I did, simple yet functional!
2014 21RBS
2121 F150 Lariat ,  3.5 Ecoboost, 4X4, SuperCrew

Merlin

The Valterra outside fridge coil fan I reported on in post 61 above has been working great. We have followed a heat wave west and have twice hit 100F in the shade this past week. It's been at least 80sF every day. The fridge is running about 40F inside, on either gas or 120V electric, and set on 4 (not the max of 5). The outside fan is coming on and going off with the thermostat and I have a lot more confidence in something designed for the extremely rugged life of an outdoor fridge fan. Very high and low temps, extreme humidity, dust, small insects, and constant bouncing when underway seem like way too much long term for a computer fan that is designed for a sedate couch-potato like life. The only problem we've had is that when opened frequently (lots of cold drinks on hot days), these absorption fridges don't recover temps as fast as compressor fridges. We are about to leave the heat wave and head way north into Alberta, so pretty soon we'll be enjoying hot drinks!
Michigan

ADR

Define long term :P

Here are the $8 fans I used in my Rpod> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026ZPFDE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

They've been in use for, I'd guess, 180 days at least over the last 4 years- 3 30 day long trips many 3-7 day trips and covered 25,000+ miles. ;)

Probably be putting the same in the 16TBS when I get a chance.  Although I may not need them since the 18 16TBS has the fridge vented out the roof.
IME having both intake and exhaust in a wall hurts performance quite a bit- I think Dometic even alludes to this somewhere in their installation literature.

Steve Sanders

Computer cooling fans are much more robust than you would expect. It is true that most are in a clean environment, but many operate in very hot and dirty places. (Think about Garden Center sales terminals or computers in mines.) Those little fans are designed to run 24/7/365 for years, anywhere a computer might be used. They are designed for the worst conditions and are cheap because millions of them are produced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dlb53151

I bought this vent fan to cool my fridge in my 2016 TBS.  I know how to attach to the vent but not how to wire it.  Any simple diagrams or other suggestions?  Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

Quote from: dlb53151 on May 08, 2021, 01:39:11 PM

I bought this vent fan to cool my fridge in my 2016 TBS.  I know how to attach to the vent but not how to wire it.  Any simple diagrams or other suggestions?  Thanks!!

Looks like quite the unit! I wired my single Valterra fan into the DC terminals that are available in the rear fridge compartment of my 16TBS. My fan is controlled by an internal thermostat, so I'm not sure I can help you with the speed controller wiring of yours. Do you know where those 12DC terminals are in the compartment, or would you like a photo?
Michigan

dlb53151

Merlin - yes please send a pic - thanks! 

Merlin

Sorry, I've once again given up in frustration with not being able to post photos on the forum. If you want a photo, use the messages features and send me your email. I'll attach the photo I just took to a return email.

In lieu of a photo, I can tell you the DC terminal in the fridge compartment is a white screw terminal block with 4 connections. in/out DC positive (orange) and in/out DC negative (white). It's easily seen and accessed in the bottom of the lower compartment. This is for a 3-way fridge that has the DC option for running the absorption cooling system. Huge wires because the 12VDC amps are very high for the fridge heater. I simply added my fan wires (+and -) to the terminal block for fan power and put a 2A fuse/holder in the + wire.
Michigan