Check your water heater

Started by ADR, September 29, 2018, 10:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADR

Was setting up our 16TBS at a campsite somewhere out west and saw this>

Dummies at LivinLite did not put the required screws into the framing to retain the water heater, nor did they put the required wood blocks inside to keep it retained in place sideways.

Luckily it didn't rip the plumbing loose :-\

tinkeringtechie

Wow! Were there any screws at all? I can't see any in the photo. Looks like it was held on with sealant alone.... yikes...

ADR

Yep- the sealant was all that held it in.  After an estimated 3000 miles the sealant let go- just glad I spotted it when I did and not in the rearview mirror bouncing down the road ;D

BTW we had a number of screws back out, some all the way, on our trip which was 8482 miles and 32 days.  But there were none ever installed in the water heater flange.

The other surprise was I bent over one day and when rising back up I bumped the kitchen counter- it moved up and fell back down. 

WTH?

They had "glued" it down with about a 1/8" bead of sealant under the outside edge- sealant that that was adhered mildly to the counter and almost not at all to the strip of blue LED's they run under the edge.  The LED strip appeared to be silicone material which of course nothing really sticks to.
Pulled the LED strip off and glued the counter down with silicone, not my preferred glue but all I had with me.  It is solid now.

BTW I hate the blue LEDs- blue has been proven to be a deterrent to good sleep- the brain thinks it is daylight.  Poor choice for the inside of a camper.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/block-blue-light-to-sleep-better