tonneau cover is DOA

Started by catmanriff, January 10, 2017, 03:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catmanriff

Our year and a half old QS10 tonneau cover is ugly, cracking and all of this sticky glue stuff is now baked onto the aluminum beds surface. I think it's water proofing is compromised at this point. Who might have them in stock? Are the snaps installed and might I expect they'd line up satisfactorily?

Any ideas of how one might go about getting a replacement made, perhaps out of better awning material , nylon, or ??

QS61956

Contact Top Stitch Inc  They made the tent for the trailer I bet they made the Tonneau Cover as well.

574) 293-6633

921 Summa Dr
Elkhart, IN 46516-9037

catmanriff

Chappy133

Back when we had a 6.0 we replaced ours directly from LL but that was prior to the buy out.  After I got the new one I kept it under a tarp in the winter and during camping season I Armour All'd it once a month.  The sun beats them up.   
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

robsweet

I'm betting anybody who does boat coverings and upholstery could make one easily enough.  Might even be cheaper if you can give them the old one as a model.  Just be aware that every trailer's snaps are in slightly different places so either the place will have to put the snaps exactly where they are on the old one, or they can do no snaps and you'll have to custom-fit them yourself once you have it back on the trailer.

pjcd

I had a 6.0, I sold it after about four years. The cover wasn't really holding up very well, I covered the trailer in the winter and constantly cleaned and treated it with 3M products. I also bought a tool, (Looks like a vice grip) that makes installing the snaps a breeze.

abodyjoe

if you call livin lite they will tell you to order from a dealer and they will drop ship it to you...

billandmissy

When we first got our used 8.1, the cover was in really bad shape.  You could feel new cracks being created when you'd roll it up.  I called a local marine shop and they gave a very reasonable quote, something like $250, for what they described as much better material, plus they'd put on the snaps.  I wonder if several owners got together and placed one order for multiple covers, if an even better deal couldn't be worked out.

What I didn't know when I made that contact was that the previous owner had already purchased a new cover from LL and it was in a box inside the trailer.  All I had to do was put on the snaps.  I still think the material is cruddy - but it will be garage kept, so hopefully we're good for a few years.

catmanriff

I have researched the tonneau a bit. We are probably going to have one made locally. The front side slide in bead/weld thing is a concern. Might do snaps there too and just fold up the cover and stash away during trips. The LL dealer locally wanted $300 unsnapped

Chappy133

Wow our replacement from LL was like $120.00 tops
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

catmanriff

We took our recent trip with the old cover. It's in such bad condition, makes the trailer look old. Cracks when rolled. I'm not keen on replacing with the same stuff. What's weird is the air conditioner cover has held up well

Anyhow, I contacted a local guy who says he can make one out of better materials.  stay tuned.

catmanriff

Quote from: QS61956 on January 10, 2017, 04:02:15 PM
Contact Top Stitch Inc  They made the tent for the trailer I bet they made the Tonneau Cover as well.

574) 293-6633

921 Summa Dr
Elkhart, IN 46516-9037

Update:

I called Top Stitch and they don't make the tonneau cover, only the tent. Still searching for the right solution

Steve Sanders

I'm repairing an 8.1 that sat out in the weather for a couple of years. The toneau and tent were both destroyed. I ordered the tonneau from Livin Lite and the (old style) tent from Top Stitch.

The snaps do not come pre-installed because the snap placement on the campers varies from one to another. Top Stitch included a very nice tool set with the tent. They aren't that bad to install.

Our camper is always stored inside, so it won't get much weather exposure. I don't think there is a material that can be exposed to the weather continually and hold up.

Steve Sanders

Have you found a way to remove the baked on residue that's left behind by the destroyed tonneau cover? I was able to scrape and polish it off of the bare aluminum parts, but I don't know what to do with the painted surfaces.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wcart3r

Quote from: catmanriff on July 06, 2017, 07:28:00 PM
We took our recent trip with the old cover. It's in such bad condition, makes the trailer look old. Cracks when rolled. I'm not keen on replacing with the same stuff. What's weird is the air conditioner cover has held up well

Anyhow, I contacted a local guy who says he can make one out of better materials.  stay tuned.

Any update? Where did you get a replacement cover?