Hello all, new member (looking to buy Livin Light trailer)

Started by Canajun, August 10, 2021, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canajun

I have found someone who's selling a 2014 21rbs that has barely been used.  Sounds perfect.  After reading the forum, I am concerned about bad welds in the aluminum frame/axle.  The posters who had that problem strongly discourage Livin Light.  Also seems that many owners are very happy.  What percentage of trailers would you estimate had weld problems?  Were they associated with a certain year?  Thank you!

Chappy133

These trailers are hard to find.  If you are interested I recommend crawling underneath and inspecting the welds with a flashlight.  If you cannot physically inspect maybe the seller can take pictures and send them to you? 
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

Merlin

I agree with Chappy123 for a personal inspection. Any broken welds will show up as a dark line in the weld. Look especially around the A-frame in front and the welds for the axle brackets. I've not had any cracked welds and many others have not either. It seems to be hit or miss with regard to frame build quality. If the camper is otherwise good, a 21RBS is a great find!
Michigan

Canajun

Thank you all for the response!  I checked out the Purchase advice section too.  Someone had posted pics of bad welds.  That was helpful.  I appreciated all the info on checking out a used trailer.

So everyone loves their Livin Lite?  Would you trade to an Intech camper if you could?

DavidM

I definitely like the Intechs and would consider the Terra, dual axle model. But wow, it weighs a lot. 5,650 lb dry weight, ex options. That is 1,500 lbs more than a CL 21RBS. Yes the swoopy design of the Terra is nice but at a price and a weight to match. It has a longer overall length than the CL 21RBS but some of that is due to the swoopy overhang.

It would take a full size V8 or V6 EcoBoost powered SUV to pull one of these at at least 6,500 lbs loaded.

David

Merlin

I looked at one of the smaller Intech campers last winter when I was researching a unit that could fit into a tiny campsite. I didn't bite, because I decided I didn't need 2 campers and my 16TBS is a lifer for me. The Intech was ok, but IMHO not up to the build quality of my Camplite. In particular the single pane windows, the cramped area in the rear swoop, and the cheap looking cabinets were some of the things that made it overpriced to me. Small tanks for the size too.
Michigan