Suggestions

Started by Paul, June 11, 2015, 09:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Please feel free to share your suggestions so we can improve the forum!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

DavidM

Paul:

I have been using your new site for a day or two and I have lots of likes and one dislike:

It is fast. Does your server have a SSD. I have one forum where I know the server is SS and it too is very fast.

I was able to set up a Favorite link that goes directly to Unread Posts and it works great. On the Vbulletin sites you can't do this.

Picture posting works very easily, with one exception below.

Editing or modifying your post is open ended. Some, fortunately only one- the Yahoo Groups, do not allow any editing. Others allow editing only for a couple of hours after posting- one of the Vbulletin sites I belong to does this, why I can't fathom. Yours seems to let you do it forever which is the best.

Dislikes:

It seems that after you browse and select a picture, you cannot see it in preview. You have to save it and then it is visible. Preview does not show any pictures. The only way to see your picture is in the actual post. Not a big deal, but...

David

Paul

Hi Dave, my server doesn't have a SSD but the fact that it has a very fast dedicated internet connection (100 mbps) helps a lot I think, the proboards forums probably have a fast internet connection but the bandwidth is shared with a lot of forums, in my case it's not shared much.

I had noticed the same thing than you, you only see the picture once it is posted and not when you hit preview, I am not sure if it's something that could be changed, probably not sure how easy it would be. I am happy that you like the platform. I am not sure if the forum will gain traction or not, we will see with the time, hopefully it does if not oh well we would have tried! The lack of contents is going to kill us in the beginning, hopefully we get some members to start creating some and then maybe our forum will start showing in google search which will help, right now it's not there yet but I have submitted it to search engine. I have high hope that this could work but since we compete with another forum that has already a big user base it might be hard. Hopefully it works!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

DavidM

I guess I should address content, not only the platform:

Your New Forum on the PB site didn't get many posts. Wonder why. Sean, at least seems neutral about this site and so far he doesn't see it as a threat. I do, but only time will tell.  I have been on several sites where the sponsor- commercial was clueless and just let the site atrophy. Also I was on a private competing site and the administrators were Nazis- always banning users, including me ;-).

So, my only advice is to administer it fairly and even handedly. So far the user community on the PB site has been nice and friendly and I expect that to be the case with this one. Campers are good people, right!!!

I was introduced to the LL PB site by my dealer. I suppose I would have ultimately found it by Googling. If you do a Google search on Livin Lite Forums, the first entry is the LL PB site. Maybe they pay Google to get that. This forum doesn't show up, at least not as a direct site reference. It may be discussed in other sites like Good Sams one, but I don't think so.

So you may have ideas about how to spread the word. I belong to the Yahoo LL site which I hate. Let me know if you want me to post an announcement.

David

Paul

Hi David, I sure would like you to post on the yahoo site, feel free to advertise the forum as much as you want  :). The reason why we are not a google yet it's because the google robot did not indexed the forum yet, it takes a while when a new site is created, but I did request them to index it so it's just a matter of time. I am sure this will help dragging some traffic here. Sean seem to be neutral but at the same time he enabled falling on my thread which mean that even if someone post on the thread it won't come up at the top so with time it's going to be at the bottom of the list. Right now I think spreading the word is our best strategy to get more people in. I am happy that you are willing to help me growing this forum!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

DavidM

bambam

Quote from: DavidM on June 12, 2015, 02:21:09 PM
Done.

David

This brought me here by the way.

I hate the Yahoo groups, not very practical for exchanging information and for some reason I don't understand they apparently have cancelled my account, so I still get the mails but can no longer log in to the board.

DavidM

Welcome aboard and glad you found us.

I too absolutely hate the Yahoo boards. No pictures or pdf attachments associated with the post, embedded links don't work, posts are not easily organized by threads, etc., etc.

Why anyone would participate there rather than join one of these two is beyond me.

David

Paul

Quote from: bambam on June 14, 2015, 06:37:32 AM
Quote from: DavidM on June 12, 2015, 02:21:09 PM
Done.

David

This brought me here by the way.

I hate the Yahoo groups, not very practical for exchanging information and for some reason I don't understand they apparently have cancelled my account, so I still get the mails but can no longer log in to the board.

Welcome Bambam
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

PEIslander

Here's a suggestion born out of experiences as a moderator on a few other boards:

I noticed when I edited my profile that there is an option to "delete profile". If that means what I think it means I'd strongly recommend not providing users that option. I have seen in forums active users who for some reason decide they don't want to participate anymore. That's fine but what isn't good is when they then click a button like that to delete all their prior participation. The result is a major kick in the face to the usefulness of the information that was built up over time in all the old threads. When major users delete their postings it can affect thousands of threads. Even when less frequent posters delete their postings many threads rendered disjointed & useless. Where I've seen such wholesale deletions they were vengeful selfish acts intended to harm the community. The people I've seen do this were typically very active contributors who felt they deserved special status than regular contributors. To them all contributors are not equals -- each deserving respect. We've all seen such people on other boards -- people who give new members a hard time as if to make the point "this is my turf". Eventually those people get challenged or insulted and they walk. The bad feelings I think lead them to be willing to hurt the forum they once loved.

I'd argue there is rarely a good reason for a user to delete a posting. If they have a good reason they can contact a moderator. IMHO they don't need to be able to do it themselves.
"Beer is proof that God loves us" - Ben Franklin

Paul

Quote from: PEIslander on June 20, 2015, 02:10:13 PM
Here's a suggestion born out of experiences as a moderator on a few other boards:

I noticed when I edited my profile that there is an option to "delete profile". If that means what I think it means I'd strongly recommend not providing users that option. I have seen in forums active users who for some reason decide they don't want to participate anymore. That's fine but what isn't good is when they then click a button like that to delete all their prior participation. The result is a major kick in the face to the usefulness of the information that was built up over time in all the old threads. When major users delete their postings it can affect thousands of threads. Even when less frequent posters delete their postings many threads rendered disjointed & useless. Where I've seen such wholesale deletions they were vengeful selfish acts intended to harm the community. The people I've seen do this were typically very active contributors who felt they deserved special status than regular contributors. To them all contributors are not equals -- each deserving respect. We've all seen such people on other boards -- people who give new members a hard time as if to make the point "this is my turf". Eventually those people get challenged or insulted and they walk. The bad feelings I think lead them to be willing to hurt the forum they once loved.

I'd argue there is rarely a good reason for a user to delete a posting. If they have a good reason they can contact a moderator. IMHO they don't need to be able to do it themselves.

This is a good point, I will have a look and see if I can remove the option.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Paul

I just implemented PEIslander idea now users can't delete their own account
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Scout

+1 on this.

I agree with Islander re: the "string corruption" when sections are deleted. It often removes context and vital info. I also enjoy this forum as there is an open interest in bettering the LL community. Not a big fan of the super large forums where jib jab commentary and online factions take over the content of the forum. Thx for putting fwd a forum where pics can be posted. This is the greatest benefit to a successful forum. Glad to catch up to brilliant, respectful and cheerful group...camp on!

KC

Paul

Quote from: Scout on July 20, 2015, 02:59:44 PM
+1 on this.

I agree with Islander re: the "string corruption" when sections are deleted. It often removes context and vital info. I also enjoy this forum as there is an open interest in bettering the LL community. Not a big fan of the super large forums where jib jab commentary and online factions take over the content of the forum. Thx for putting fwd a forum where pics can be posted. This is the greatest benefit to a successful forum. Glad to catch up to brilliant, respectful and cheerful group...camp on!

KC

Thank you Scout and welcome to the forum!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

gbpack

Hi Paul,  if it is at all possible, it would be nice to be able to search within a group (i.e. Travel trailers, 5th wheels) Also, if each group had its own categories (safety, TV, mods, etc.) it would be easier for a newbie like me to wrap my mind around things. Loving the new site! Joan of the GB Pack