Brain surgery

Started by leslie, June 26, 2017, 06:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leslie

My husband is scheduled to have brain surgery on July 13 at Norton Brownsboro Hospital in Louisville. He has had an accumulation of fluid in his brain, resulting in a loss of motor skills and loss of balance. Losing his balance has been humiliating, because he falls down and can't get up by himself. Some people think he has been drunk when he hasn't had anything to drink.

Doctors don't know the cause, but this is a rare condition developing in about 5% of people in their 60s and 70s. Inserting a shunt in his brain should give him at least 5 years without symptoms.

I suggested he shave his head, so he wouldn't look so weird with the haircut he would get at the hospital. He says that I just want to see how he looks with a bald head. I told him there's an upside to everything!

We have been stuck in Louisville since Easter, waiting for his doctors to decide what they will do. There is no cure, just a way to postpone the development of symptoms.

I am scared, but my husband is not because he feels he has nothing to lose. He DOES NOT WANT TO LIVE with the symptoms, which will kill him eventually. We have had a rough time.

We are scheduled for the Maine Rally. I am not ready to cancel, if the doctors will just let us get out of town. I will post later on the meetup thread.

gbpack

Oh Leslie! I am praying that all will go well in surgery and that the shunt will bring him back to normal. I'm praying for peace for you, too. Joan & Gregg

Pinstriper

This is terrible, terrible news. However, at least you have some sort of definitive information, and the ability to treat it to a fair extent. Of course you have all our support.

In the meanwhile, chin up. Do what you have to, fight it as long as you can and make the most of every day. Ain't none of us getting younger very quickly, either.

Tell Pete that I say go with the bald look, but get some sort of groovy tattoo while he has the hair off. Then it can grow back over the tattoo and be all even, and it will be the family secret.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FastEddieB

Karen and I sending good wishes your way!

Merlin

Thanks for posting the update. Jan and I sure hope things go well with the surgery and the 2 of you can enjoy travel again soon. We especially hope you can make it out to Maine meetup since we are looking forward to seeing you again.
Michigan

Paul

I hope everything goes well, thank you for keeping us up to date.

We send you our best wishes
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

leslie

I have been sharing your messages with my husband. They warm our hearts.

He worked until he was 71 years old. I asked him if he wanted a retirement, or if he intended to work until his health gave out.  He said he wanted a retirement. One year and five months after he retired, he started seeing doctors to find out what was going on.

If I can give some advice to those of you in the working world who want a retirement - plan, save, and don't wait too long because there are no guarantees in life.

mojospeople

Best wishes for skilled surgeons, a successful procedure, speedy recovery and a quick return to "normal" life and camping!

PaulJ

Although we have not met yet we feel from your posts we know you.  We will pray for you both, and hope to meet you on the trail of life  at a future gathering.  God bless you!

djsamuel

Praying for you and your husband.  My wife went through brain surgery to stop epileptic seizures.  She had her whole head shaved since she figured it would be easier to just have it all grow back at once.  Even though her surgery was 30 years ago in Philadelphia it was amazing what the doctors could do.  It is even more advanced today.  She had her right temporal lobe removed and it is amazing how resilient the brain is. 

leslie

My husband had his head shaved today. He looks like Daddy Warbucks! The neurosurgeon nixed the tattoo idea due to concerns about infection.

Pinstriper

Quote from: leslie on July 10, 2017, 07:31:59 PM
My husband had his head shaved today. He looks like Daddy Warbucks! The neurosurgeon nixed the tattoo idea due to concerns about infection.

Two words: Sharpie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gbpack

Quote from: leslie on July 10, 2017, 07:31:59 PM

Married to a guy that looks like a movie star! Very nice!
Joan

gbpack

Leslie - Prayers for your husband and you tomorrow. Gregg & Joan

Merlin

I sure hope all goes well tomorrow. Here's to a speedy recovery!
Michigan