Honda Ridgeline: Towing with WDH

Started by Lily, November 27, 2020, 02:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily

Hello Everyone,
Having sold our Quicksilver 8.0 last year (after 3 years of solid enjoyment)  we're hoping to again join the LivinLite/Camplite community.  We have upgraded our TV from a Honda CRV to. 2020 AWD Ridgeline.  The Gen2 Ridgeline has a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. and a hitch weight limit of 600 lbs. and a payload limit of about 1600 lbs.  The Honda manual for the Gen1 Ridgeline (prior to 2017 models) warned against towing with a WDH and the Gen2 manual doesn't really address the issue.  We have our eyes on a 2015 Camplite 21rbs with a UVW of 3650 lbs.  We plan to pack lightly with minimal gear (experience with the Quicksilver 8.0 should help) and stay well under the 5000 lbs. towing limit.  Has anyone towed a similar weight or heavier rig with a Ridgeline, either Gen1 or Gen2?  Did you use a WDH? What make, please? And do you recommend.  If you towed without a WDH, please comment.  All replies welcome.  Thanks,
Lily & humans:J & L

Merlin

Two other members on here tow with a Gen 2 Ridgeline, @Jackson and @dlb53151 but both have smaller Camplites.

Maybe they can shed some light on towing larger or with/without WD.

Michigan

Lily

Thank you, Merlin!  I will reach out to them.

Jackson

We do tow our 16tbs using a Anderson WDH while always keeping a minimum dry load. The 16tbs is single axel and doesn't require much adjustment to properly balance.  Not sure how this compares to dual axel or whether that matters. After many thousands of miles  of prairie and mountain travel the G2 and 16tbs seem quite compatible despite Hondas caution. 55/60 MPH in the slow lane is our standard mode of travel using the Honda tranny in tow mode. The G2 is the most luxurious TV compared to ladder frame TV so I hope you can make it work for you.

DavidM

The Andersen WDH is a good choice for the Ridgeline as it does not transfer much weight forward. I am sure it was stresses on the frame from more typical WDHs that caused Honda to issue their warning.

But that begs the question, if it doesn't transfer much weight forward, why use it. Many users say that the sway stability is actually more important than the weight transfer and the Andersen does a good job with dampening sway.

David

Lily

Thank you, Jackson & David.  This information is very helpful; it's good to know we seem to be thinking in the right direction about WDH.  Jackson, do you use towing mirrors with your Camplite?  If so, what brand & model? 

dlb53151

Hello Josh / Lin - We have a 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E for our TV. Our trailer is a 2016 16TBS which we just had repainted to match our TV.  We have a Reese WDH - Model 49903.  A WDH is a must.... Overall we are 'modestly pleased' with the towing capabilities of our TV.  The Reese is a good WDH and we don't have any issues with it.  If I had to do it over again I may spend more $ and get the Equal-I-zer for even more peace of mind.  (I hate spending money but like to be over-engineered when it comes to towing anything.  On that note, see my posts regarding our upgrading of our tongue coupler to a Bulldog).  We use premium fuel when towing. Happy to provide more specifics if you have any questions.  We're one big happy LL family here!!

Lily

Hello DLB, Thanks so much for sharing!  Love the photo & wish we were camping next door (where?).  If not asking too much, please 'elucidate' on 'modestly pleased''; does that relate to your Ridgeline or Camplite?  Also! Do you have towing mirrors?  Any tranny issues with your RTl-E?  Any issues at all? 

Jackson

Quote from: Lily on November 28, 2020, 06:08:41 PM
Thank you, Jackson & David.  This information is very helpful; it's good to know we seem to be thinking in the right direction about WDH.  Jackson, do you use towing mirrors with your Camplite?  If so, what brand & model?

Fortunately the 16tbs is practically the same width as the TV so the vehicle mirrors are adequate. We've crossed some narrow country bridges with just inches to spare on either side which is a thankful consideration.

Lily

Thanks for the information, Jackson. I think the width of the 21rbs is the same as the 16 so will probably try without 1st & see what we can see.

djsamuel

Quote from: Lily on December 02, 2020, 10:53:42 AM
Thanks for the information, Jackson. I think the width of the 21rbs is the same as the 16 so will probably try without 1st & see what we can see.
The width should be the same.  I tow my 21BHS with a Ram 1500 and the camper is basically the same width as the truck, maybe a bit smaller.  In either case, the standard mirrors work great, and the narrower width is a nice advantage in my opinion.

Lily

Thanks! Good to know.  Any serious issues with your 21BHS?

Jonathan

Djsmanuel,
Thanks for the info.  I have a 2018 Ram and was contemplating the need to purchase towing mirrors.  I am in the market for a 21 RBS so I will be towing the same length with the same vehicle.  I'll hold off and see how it works without them.

djsamuel

Quote from: Lily on December 02, 2020, 06:26:48 PM
Thanks! Good to know.  Any serious issues with your 21BHS?
Only major problem was failure of the A/C under warranty.  Other than that, the camper has been terrific.  We bought it in 2013 and have taken it from Florida out to Arizona and Utah as well as to Tennessee several times.  Also around Florida a lot.  Very nice camper and we really enjoy it.  Very easy to tow and get into smaller camp sites such as those in National and State parks.

djsamuel

Quote from: Jonathan on December 02, 2020, 07:50:14 PM
Djsmanuel,
Thanks for the info.  I have a 2018 Ram and was contemplating the need to purchase towing mirrors.  I am in the market for a 21 RBS so I will be towing the same length with the same vehicle.  I'll hold off and see how it works without them.
I think you'll be pleased with the stock mirrors on the truck.  I can easily see down the entire length of the camper.  Very good visibility without the tow mirrors.  The Ram will tow the camper really well.