Adding 2nd AC

Started by rickyz1, August 03, 2018, 10:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickyz1

PebblePrincess, I did not get around to adding the second a/c. I had started getting ready for winter camping. I added ultra tank heaters but didn't need them thought it was going to be colder in December in north Carolina, got down in the low 30s. The ceiling panels are glued to the aluminum studs. I would recommend trying to route the cable across the ceiling and down the refridgerator wall to the converter if you choose the forward vent. If you decide to use the rear vent you got two ways, 1st route cable across the top and down the wall next to fridge or #2 somehow across to the rear corner and drop out the bottom of trailer. If you decide to go with opt#2 you can plug that a/c direct into the park power or continue back to the converter so you can power the a/c off the generator when needed. That 5500 onan can handle two 15btu a/c's with no problem. If I were in your shoes I would do two 15btu's, you want all you can get. I spoke to dometic and they said the a/c that puts out the most cooling is there blizzard series. The only problem is that unit sits higher than the penguin 2. I don't know what im going to do just yet, may swap my 13.5btu for a 15btu. I only had one bad experience so far that's why I stalled on adding second one.
2017 8.5x24 Ford Quick Silver
Onan 5500/ Fuel Station

tbwrench

I've just been reading some posts here about people painting their roofs white to reduce interior heat and having remarkable results. Have you considered painting your roof?

PebblePrincess

I have a 2017 model trailer so it already has a white roof. Unfortunately Thor had already replaced the aluminum roofs by the tine I was ready to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 8.5' x 28' Quicksilver
Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station

PebblePrincess

So I went ahead and ordered a new HiCap Penguin II ac to add. My plan will be to run the electrical along the top corner of the wall to the refrigerator using an external wire channel. I'm hoping to be able to use the current fan control wire to pull new thermostat wire to the current location. I will try and document as much as I can to provide others guidance if they go this route. AC should be delivered Monday and I'm hoping to begin and finish the work in early May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station

rickyz1

Hello PebblePrincess, How did the install go? Interested to hear how it went and if you can share pictures.
2017 8.5x24 Ford Quick Silver
Onan 5500/ Fuel Station

PebblePrincess

I did get it installed. I ended up having to run power from the breaker box along the top corner of the ceiling. I will get pictures once I move my trailer back to the house.
Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station