The Carnage of Wood and Wonders of Aluminum

Started by Merlin, July 14, 2020, 09:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

As many of you know, there was at least a short period of time (fall of 2014 included) when Livin Lite purchased exterior cargo compartment doors from Challenger Door that had wood in them. I just replaced all three of my doors with new, wood-less doors from Challenger. The ordering and installation process was very easy. I opted for a contrasting color (silver frost) so that if my champagne colored camper has faded, it wouldn't look like I tried to color match and failed. They were $55 each, including tax and shipping, and came with two closures. One is the standard key lock and the other is a simple knob. Nice touch to not need the key every opening while on site. Thanks to @djsamuel for finding and posting the door label.

I replaced them because I had some corrosion damage on the aluminum exterior of the doors, but it was coming from the inside. And, the inside panels on the doors were buckling. When I cut a pieced out of one, I found out why. The exterior aluminum was an extremely thin veneer, maybe a 32nd of an inch. The interior was just paper thin plastic tape. The entire interior was soaking wet and buckling plywood. I'm so glad our campers don't have wood in the main structure! This was an easy fix, with the new doors fitting and sealing well. Challenger assured me their doors now have no wood and haven't for some time. I've reserved the next post area in this thread for photos, which I'll get Paul to post for me soon.
Michigan

Merlin

Inside, outside, and new.
Michigan

dlb53151

Some folks have mentioned drilling drain holes in the compartment doors.  I would appreciate it if someone could tell me specifically where to drill, baby, drill.  Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

IF that would help, the holes need to be straight up into the door through the bottom of the frame. My doors were solid plywood with just the thin veneer of Al and plastic tape. No holes would have saved them from the wood getting soaking wet and ruining the door.
Michigan

dlb53151

Mine have that luan junk wood inside.  I am hoping to get the replacement door I ordered soon from Challenger.  My concern with drilling drain holes in the other ones would be that those holes would be a place where water could be absorbed through and sponged up into the luan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

The way the frame on the door is installed means that unless the holes are in the bottom, water will sit in the wood anyway. Drill holes at the bottom of the plastic on the inside if you think that's best. But eventually the wood will get wet with/without drain holes (IMHO).
Michigan

keeena

Piggy-back post: anybody know if the LL Quicksilver Toy Haulers had aluminum or steel framed ramp doors? I ask because it looks like something is bulging from beneath the exterior skin and causing aluminum skin to split. My bet is that its rusting steel frame. I -thought- these trailers were all aluminum though?

Merlin

Quote from: keeena on July 28, 2020, 01:56:11 AM
Piggy-back post: anybody know if the LL Quicksilver Toy Haulers had aluminum or steel framed ramp doors? I ask because it looks like something is bulging from beneath the exterior skin and causing aluminum skin to split. My bet is that its rusting steel frame. I -thought- these trailers were all aluminum though?

It's probably a wet wood issue. There have been reports from others with toy haulers of door problems like that caused by wet/rotting wood. It's possible the door supplier used some steel, but it's far more likely to be a wood problem. Replacements without wood can be ordered from Challenger, but the door are not cheap.
Michigan

Chappy133

Interesting video on why I am glad I have a LL: https://youtu.be/yE0fh-cGSec

Still think Thor bought them out to eliminate competition.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA