Truck Camper Rear view & backup cameras

Started by TimS, July 16, 2017, 01:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimS

I'm doing research on different brands/models of "observation systems" for my 8.4S TC for when I haul my bass boat behind the truck camper. Right now I'm looking at different wireless Voyager cameras and wireless Furrion cameras. My concern is reception from the camera mounted above the back door and the monitor inside the truck. Will the all aluminum construction cause any issues with the wireless signal? Anyone have any experience with these?  Any suggestions?

charliem

My experience with Voyager wireless is excellent. I have one mounted at the rear of a 21RBS with the monitor on the dash inside the truck. It pairs with the monitor similar to Bluetooth and works perfectly, even in the presence of other Bluetooth devices in the truck. My experience with less expensive devices from Rear View Safety were less than acceptable. They were susceptible to interference from gas stations, urban congestion, and other Bluetooth devices in the truck.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Merlin

Welcome to the forum!

What Charlie said ^^^^^ ;)
Michigan

charliem

Quote from: Merlin on July 16, 2017, 02:54:38 PM
Welcome to the forum!

What Charlie said ^^^^^ ;)

Merlin, 

Have you received any commissions from Voyager yet?? So far I'm batting zero!  ;) ;)
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

gbpack

We love our Voyager as well! Clear color picture, works great all of the time and we've never had any problems with it. Once it's paired up, all we have to do the next time is turn on the camera, plug in the monitor and the picture pops right up on the screen. No monkeying around. It's a little pricey but we think it's worth it. Can't say enough good things about it!

Chappy133

I have a cheaper Tadi Brothers off Amazon. Does the job.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

Biewers on the Go

Hi all, so what IS a good price for a back up camera system that the camera's can be moved from the back of the truck camper bumber to the rear of the trailer you are towing behind your TC?  So, I need Blue Tooth connections to the on dash viewer, and to be able to toggle between the two camera's views, or else be able to easily move the single camera depending upon whether I am towing in addition to hauling.  Does this make sense?  I'm getting tired.

Thanks,
R

Merlin

The system referred to above is about $350 now. You do not want a Bluetooth connected system; that would not work for this purpose. If you buy a cheap one, the signal will not lock in and it will be frustrating. Get a good wireless system with a camera mount that allows for easy removal/replacement from one place to another. The Voyager system above has a camera that would work for that. You would just have to get 2 mounts for the camera, each with access to 12V power, to make it easy to move. Or, get 2 cameras to begin with and mount one one your camper and one on your trailer. The Voyager system will lock onto only one at a time, but you could turn off the unneeded camera if both have a switched power supply. It's really worth the effort. I like (a lot) having a view to the rear when going down the road!
Michigan