Replacement Decals

Started by whitefish, April 16, 2019, 12:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitefish

My decals (stripes) are starting to look pretty sad on my 2013 16DB.  The "camplite" lettering is still ok.  Anyone know where Livinglite sourced these decal?  I'm looking for kit to replace.  Otherwise I'm going to a decal shop to have new ones made.

Thx

JazzyPigsGA

When they were replacing them on my crashed side, livinglite tried to charge them hundreds to send them replacements. The body shop had them made for <$100

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whitefish

I know a guy that makes custom decals locally.  Looks like I'll give him my business.  Just waiting on a quote.

MonteD

Noticed this post and had to comment. Our 2015 21BHS was wounded by a self inflicted mistake I made trying to wash it with well water. I did not wipe it down quickly enough as I was going to wax it. Big mistake. Silver decals on door side had spot I simply could not remove. I took it to several places getting quotes to replace decals. One RV repair company indicated they would not replace them as it will happen again. They remove and paint the decals. I went that way and painted decals are fine, and hopefully I will not screw them up again. Actually I tried the 3M rubberized wheel designed to remove decals (as I had seen on decal videos on the internet) and it promptly went right into the paint to the metal. I actually got one off but had a mess on my hands. Had them painted on and could not be happier. I only had the silver decals painted on the door side and front, all the others were OK. Price was $1200, a little pricey but I had made such a mess that it was fix it ASAP. Another reason I chose to paint was that we have had two different occasions where someone damaged the back of our trailer in storage, and the same guy that painted the decals on for us had a nightmare trying to get them from LL. Sounds like a great deal if a dealer can get them made. Our paint matches the decals very well so we/I am a happy camper.
MonteD

whitefish

Yeh, I've discovered that the decals put on most camplites (most rv's) are a cheaper product.  You can get a premier vinyl that will last much longer and is less susceptible to heat cracking, but they are pricey.  I've read to never wash a hot surface with the cheaper style decals as the thermal shock will cause them to crack.

My trailer will likely need a paint job in 5 or so years, so I may just pull the existing ones off and leave it bare for awhile.

dlb53151

As you can see I had a detailer guy try to remove some decals and made a mess.  I got a quote of $3800 for a professional body shop in the Milwaukee area to clearcoat paint the whole unit.  Labor and materials.  And he will repair the bubbling paint on that door.  Any advice would be appreciated l. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chappy133

We just go naked with no decals!
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

purdytj

Quote from: Chappy133 on April 18, 2020, 07:36:36 PM

De-badged everything typically looks better to me - cars, trucks, campers, etc. Let the lines of the vehicle be the artwork!

Merlin

Quote from: Chappy133 on April 18, 2020, 07:36:36 PM

Gasp! Hey, keep it clean on here. Oh yeah, that's exactly what you're doing with your camper.  ;)
Michigan

Merlin

Quote from: dlb53151 on April 18, 2020, 04:06:24 PM

As you can see I had a detailer guy try to remove some decals and made a mess.  I got a quote of $3800 for a professional body shop in the Milwaukee area to clearcoat paint the whole unit.  Labor and materials.  And he will repair the bubbling paint on that door.  Any advice would be appreciated l. 

Maybe find a custom decal of some sort to cover the damaged area? $3800 for a repaint to fix that decal removal mess seems steep. The bubbling paint on the door is probably from wet wood. Most of those compartment doors are made by Challenger and have what I think is lauan in them. Some have replaced the doors to permanently fix the bubbling. Just a repaint won't fix it if its water damage.
Michigan

dlb53151

Do you have any other pics of your camper?  I have a 2016 TBS  and am going to have it repainted.  Trying to figure out if we go with one color and no decals or two colors (darker below the line and lighter above).

Would like your advice as well ;)

Merlin

Quote from: dlb53151 on April 27, 2020, 10:05:42 PM
Do you have any other pics of your camper?  I have a 2016 TBS  and am going to have it repainted.  Trying to figure out if we go with one color and no decals or two colors (darker below the line and lighter above).

Would like your advice as well ;)

Are you asking @Chappy133 ?
Michigan

dlb53151

Yep - I reached out to him

Chappy133

I think the two tone approach would be a great look.  I have red/green color blindness so I am not allowed to give advise on what colors to go with. 

Some additional pictures as requested:
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

dlb53151

Looks awesome!  I'll show plenty of pics when done