Preparing to take Kayaks & Bicycles Camping

Started by rideandfly, December 17, 2016, 03:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rideandfly

Installed a U.S. Rack "Paddlers Rack" on our Tundra. Transport two 9.5′ Kayaks. Once the racks were assembled, it takes less than 30 minutes to install or remove the racks on the bed track system. Found it to be easier (I have a bad shoulder) loading the Kayaks on this rack stepping into the pickup bed compared to loading Kayaks on the Thule racks on the Leer shell from the side of our Tacoma.

Most pickup racks are heavier construction for hauling heavy loads. My only use for these racks will be transporting Kayaks. Combined Kayak weight is under 100 pounds with tie downs straps & Yakima cross bar cushions.  The rack capacity is 300 pounds. My goal was a well built rack that was light weight and easy to remove. The cross bars are the same dimensions as Thule cross bars on the Tacoma. After installing and removing these racks, found the racks are easy to remove, light, and stores easily in the garage without requiring much space for two pieces.

https://www.usrack.com/responsive/paddlers-truck-rack.php

Also plan to transport bicycles in the pickup bed under Kayaks. The distance from the bottom of the Kayaks to the bed floor is 47″.  Our tallest bike is 44″, will not need to remove bicycle wheels while transporting bikes on another rack below Kayaks.

Going to test this floor bike stand to see how it works out, bought it on Amazon:

http://www.racorstoragesolutions.com/p/detail/pbs-2r

Bill

rideandfly

Quote from: idlerockfarm on December 17, 2016, 10:45:05 PM
That setup looks good.

idlerockfarm, Thanks,

Hope to go camping in SC before New Years, to test the rig!
Bill

Paul

I can't close my tailgate when I transport my bike like you I have to remove the front wheel. I have the short bed 5.5 foot. How big is your truck bed?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk Pro
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

rideandfly

Quote from: Paul on December 18, 2016, 10:10:17 PM
I can't close my tailgate when I transport my bike like you I have to remove the front wheel. I have the short bed 5.5 foot. How big is your truck bed?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk Pro

Paul,

It's a 6.5 foot bed. Wanted to leave the pickup bed uncovered (no shell) to haul bicycles or a small motorcycle while camping.
Bill

Pinstriper

I dig your rig - bringing the bikes and boats is great. I put just one yak rack up top so far - someone has to stay back at the campground with the dogs. Not me, but someone.

Plenty of clearance for a yak up top to pull the trailer. We go one up one down when we both go, and usually its just one so its just in the bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rideandfly

Quote from: Pinstriper on December 18, 2016, 11:33:47 PM
I dig your rig - bringing the bikes and boats is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pinstriper, Thanks!!!!!

That's a nice looking rig you have! Enjoy Kayaking, bicycling, and hiking. Take too may photos, too:

Bill

pjcd

I had to attach my Thule rack onto my TracRac for the canoe to clear the roof of the truck.

bryan.a.white

I like what this thread is up to! Some interests I share for sure. I wanted to keep my truck empty for quick returns home (more play time) so I don't have to unload. Just park and go inside and recover from the adventure. It was my whole reasoning into getting a toy hauler.

My solutions:
Bryan

Merlin

Quote from: bryan.a.white on March 22, 2017, 05:28:05 PM
I like what this thread is up to! Some interests I share for sure. I wanted to keep my truck empty for quick returns home (more play time) so I don't have to unload. Just park and go inside and recover from the adventure. It was my whole reasoning into getting a toy hauler.

My solutions:

What's the brand of the boat? Looks like a great storage/transport idea for a toy hauler.
Michigan

bryan.a.white

It's a 17' Wenonah amd weighs 55 lbs.

I'll grab some photos of the bar I installed between the kitchen and the bedroom area next time I'm in the trailer. I used boat Bimini hardware and an aluminum tube cut to length and used some stout sheet metal screws to anchor the hardware to the aluminum frame of the cabinets. It has quick release pins. The rod also doubles as a curtan rod in camp to make a small changing area and to separate the kids (3 and 6) from Mom and Dad.

Just hauled it around this last weekend with the boat in the trailer, and it didn't budge a bit. Really solid. Very quick to load and unload.
Bryan

Merlin

I was going to guess Wenona!. I'd love to have one. Which model is it and how does it paddle?
Michigan

bryan.a.white

Quote from: Merlin on March 22, 2017, 08:04:53 PM
I was going to guess Wenona!. I'd love to have one. Which model is it and how does it paddle?

The Spirit II. It paddles great. We take our two small kids in it a lot. Very stable all around canoe. We love it.
Bryan

rideandfly

Quote from: bryan.a.white on March 22, 2017, 05:28:05 PM

Smart solutions makes taking toys easy!  8)

Bill