Slow mosey home & lessons learned (so far)

Started by Lily, June 09, 2021, 09:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily

Hello LL family, currently reporting after 2 nights at The Refuge on Roanoke Island (recommend). Prior stays @ Holden Beach RV (nice but very sandy & very little public parking & beach) @ James Island County Park in Charleston (must see, especially if you can make it for the Christmas light show - not in June, though) for 4 nights, 1 night @ Ft. Clinch St. Park on Amelia Islamd (river campground very dirty, recommend beach campground if available).  Lessons learned: slow & steady works best for travel (but you know that already), 60-65 mph max on 95 with little sway (no WDH per Honda ) & 13 mpg😏 w/ reg. gas. (Yay Ridgeline, the luxury pickup). On local SC & NC roads mpg a bit better but stop & go resulted w/ 13.5 mpg.  Problems encountered: 1st leaks from roof fans & lucky fix-it by local fellow @ Holden Beach RV who had the goop & know-how. 2nd problem: water spillage from shower head ( we think) while in transit.  Water was soaked up by lower cabinets particle board w/ resulting swelling & staining of material.  Fix required: possible replacement of kick pieces, trimming cabinet door bottoms & sealing along junctions where cabinets meet floor (product recommendations appreciated). Also add to RV a mini-dehumidifier to reduce overall moisture in camper.  Not sure if the honeymoon with our 21rbs is over yet but still feeling the love & loving the feel. More to come...thanks for reading.
Lily & Company

Lily

Need to add to last post: stayed 3 nights @ Huntington State Park in S.C. after leaving Charleston.  Best beach park yet (not including our home-park Anastasia in St. Augustine).  Steps to beach from RV pad (south campground w/ cement pads, north has gravel). Miles of unspoiled beachfront & all you need close by a short drive away. A bit pricey, but worth it.  Dogs allowed on beach, Lily approved.

DavidM

Particle board in a CL? Heaven forbid. Sure you were in a CL?

David

Lily

2017 CL built Nov. 2017 by Thor. Photos attached.

stu1965

Quote from: Lily on June 09, 2021, 10:00:22 PM
Need to add to last post: stayed 3 nights @ Huntington State Park in S.C. after leaving Charleston.  Best beach park yet (not including our home-park Anastasia in St. Augustine).  Steps to beach from RV pad (south campground w/ cement pads, north has gravel). Miles of unspoiled beachfront & all you need close by a short drive away. A bit pricey, but worth it.  Dogs allowed on beach, Lily approved.

We've stayed at HBSP one night on one of our trips from the north back down to FLA. You are right about that beach....so pretty, our dogs loved it to. Sites themselves were concrete and level (good), but right on top of each other with little privacy. We'd probably stay again just for the beach.

Lily

Hello LL family, slow mosey over, home at last in VT. Stays at The Refuge on Roanoke Is. adjacent to OBX (wonderful campground w/ cleanest bathhouses, sites, etc. no ground fires permitted, fresh seafood @ O'Neal's, quiet, costly but worth it), next @ Chickihominy Park in  James City County near Williamsburg, VA (pretty park on the river but torrential rain produced mud, mud, mud: recommend choosing a grassy site if visiting), then Misty Mt. Campground just NW of Charlottesville, VA (typical resort campground where we met a caravan of 19 Airstreamers who had just toured the Blue Ridge & Skyline Drive, glad we weren't behind them on the road), then Camp-a-While just north of Harrisburg, PA (nice wooded sites but to get to the campground need to go down a steep winding road & all night listened to 18 wheelers grinding up and down nearby, so be advised), finally a 6 hour push to VT.  Currently regrouping @ Dorset RV Park & loving it: quiet, uncrowded for the moment but will fill up soon.  Towing data: overall averaged about 13mpg on regular gas w/ the Ridgeline w/ minimal sway w/o a WDH up & down RT 81 in PA & NYThruway. CGVW @ approx. 4000 lbs.  Minor leaks enroute @ door. No other issues.

Lily

Correction: CGVW was approx. 9100lbs (5100 TV & 4000 TT).  Consider 13.5 +\- mpg pretty good.

Pinstriper

Honestly, 13 isn't bad, yeah.

Keep in mind that above about 40 mph, the biggest factor for fuel economy is wind resistance and speed.

Lily

Yes, pleased with the mpg & quality of the ride/comfort of the Ridgeline.  We had reservations about its ability to tow not any more.

dlb53151

Last week we got 15.5 mpg in our 2019 Ridgeline pulling our 16TBS 420 miles from Milwaukee to Petoskey MI.  4300# TT weight.  We only use 93 Octane premium gas when towing which seems to help with HP. 

Honestly I can't imagine towing without the WDH and sway bar.  Makes such a difference for us, but that's just my personal experience. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul

Quote from: dlb53151 on June 26, 2021, 12:55:46 PM
Last week we got 15.5 mpg in our 2019 Ridgeline pulling our 16TBS 420 miles from Milwaukee to Petoskey MI.  4300# TT weight.  We only use 93 Octane premium gas when towing which seems to help with HP. 

Honestly I can't imagine towing without the WDH and sway bar.  Makes such a difference for us, but that's just my personal experience. 

I used to always put Premium gas too (91 octane) but I stopped a while ago and just put regular gas now I didn't notice a difference in performance but I am not calculating the mpg. I tow my 21BHS with a F150 without WDH and I have a good experience so far I would be curious to try one though but I don't get it out very often since I have a seasonal site, I go out about with it 2-3 time per season.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS