New member from Cedar Park TX

Started by bradrs, November 07, 2022, 02:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradrs

Hi, I just found this forum linked to from the Livin Lite forum. I picked up an 2013 11FK earlier this year as a first camper, and have been enjoying it the little bit we've taken it out.
 I am looking into adding solar to it, so we can run it off grid without a noisy generator, and searching for info on that is how I came across this site.

I am an electrical engineer who was in the automotive aftermarket for 20+ years, but now working on hydrogen fuel cells here in TX.

I noticed not many new introductions here. Could be a slow forum. But it took me approx 20 requests for the authentication email, and a few different email addresses, to get verified. And now that I am verified, it is giving me a hard time about posting because I am on a VPN(even after disabling it) and also because the email address I've had since the mid 90s, is apparently a junk email address. I used it because the authentication emails weren't coming to my gmail address yesterday. Just letting ya'll know that some settings may be causing people issues.

DavidM

Go to the Newsletters section. RV Squirrel and I recently published a comprehensive article in the current newsletter about adding lithium batteries and solar panels to his LL. Also look at previous Newsletters about other solar systems including one on portable panels by Merlin.

Our moderator Paul should be able to help you with site access problems. PM him for help.

David

Merlin

Welcome! I'm glad you made it through the gauntlet to join and post. Paul has had a lot of trouble with bots and trolls trying to join and post, so the settings to become a member are pretty tight. I seem to remember him telling me once that hundreds of bots were pinging site every day.

Solar can easily run the camper, except for the air conditioner and microwave. I've used mine off the grid many times for several days with just 100 watts of solar.
Michigan

bradrs

Thanks! I will look through the different installs listed here. I am hoping to keep AC functional with it, so I am guessing I will need a bigger battery than typical and more panels.

Is there a factory wiring diagram for these? I looked and haven't seen one. I didn't see one in my manual either. I want to make sure I understand what the original wiring is before I start diving into it.

Thanks

Merlin

Nope, no wiring diagrams for either the DC or AC circuits. Get out your meter  ;)

And, don't count on either the fuse/CB label accuracy. I'm pretty sure each person at LL doing electrical installs did not use a diagram either and freelanced much of the work. I visited the original LL factory where mine was made and the electrical install station was piles of wire and fixtures and tools.
Michigan

DavidM

If you are thinking about powering your A/C with batteries and solar, here are some thoughts:

Consider replacing your existing A/C of about 10,000 btu/hr with a DC A/C of about 5-6,000 btu/hr. Not only will direct DC be more efficient than DC and an inverter to make AC, the smaller A/C unit will draw less power.

There are a few DC rooftop A/C units on the market, mostly for truck cabs. Here is one by BCool: https://dcpowersales.com/products-2/b-cool6000rm-4/. It uses 60 amps DC (about 700 watts) to make about 5,500 btu/hr of cooling. That should be adequate for sleeping when the sun is down, but probably won't keep you cool during a hot sunny day. But don't worry, you will have trouble fitting enough panels for nighttime use, much less daytime as well.

Assuming that the BCool unit cycles at 50% during an 8 hour night, plus an hour at 100% to cool the interior down before bedtime, it will use 300 amp hours. That will take at least 400 amp hours of batteries to cover that and other DC loads, presumably lithiums.

Charging them back up during the day will mean lots of solar panels. As a rule of thumb, 1,000 watts of solar panels will produce 300 amp hours on a sunny day. Fitting 1,000+ watts on a LL will be a problem. Maybe a combination of rooftop and portable panels will work.

It won't be easy or cheap. In big round numbers: $3-5,000 depending on high end or low end components for the A/C unit, batteries, solar panels and controller much less installation materials and labor.

David

bradrs

Thanks for the suggestions re: alternate A/C units. It looks like there are a few different ones these came with originally? Mine is not roof mounted, but wall mounted above the drivers side window, and loud. I could see a swap being beneficial to quiet that down too.

Quote from: Merlin on November 08, 2022, 09:30:38 AMNope, no wiring diagrams for either the DC or AC circuits. Get out your meter  ;)

And, don't count on either the fuse/CB label accuracy. I'm pretty sure each person at LL doing electrical installs did not use a diagram either and freelanced much of the work. I visited the original LL factory where mine was made and the electrical install station was piles of wire and fixtures and tools.

Oof, not looking forward to seeing that. I've dealt with that at some previous jobs. Thanks for the warning.

Paul

Welcome to the forum! Let me know if you have more troubles
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Popup2012

Welcome,  I live off of Avery Ranch and Palmer.  I have a 2016 TBS. Have used if for about 5 years and love it.