Roof Maintenance

Started by Jackson, May 01, 2023, 03:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackson

Greetings from New England.

Our 2017 16TBS is in need of some roof TLC. It has weathered 6 years of winter ice and snow as well as burning hot summer sun from desert heat to Atlantic coast nor'easter's torturous rain. She is no barn queen and has endured all with nary a leak.

I assume the roof is a rubberized material and at this stage would do with a good cleaning. Recommended Dicor rubber roof cleaner. Should it be resealed after cleaning?

The exterior edges all appear to be in good shape with no loose or exposed seams. The perimeter sealing compound is also holding up well.

My biggest concern is the seals around pipes, vents, antenna and so on. While firmly in place, much of it is showing large cracks as though it was shrinking and dried out. Can I just recoat it or should I remove it and reapply? I so, best removal process?

We look forward to another season of camping in our 16TBS. It is wonderfully resilient and has more than satisfied our ever expanding RV experience. One of our best investments ever.

Thanks all.

Gordon and Carolyn

Chappy133

The TPO roof on our 21 RBS has Alpha Product literature in the bag that came with the camper.  Here is the link to their product care: https://alphallc.us/product-care/
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

TeamMcZajic

I'm in the process of sealing the roof of a new (to us) 13QBB. I've owned other RV's in the past. I'm a fan of Dicor products for their durability since I'm naturally pretty lazy when it comes to things like roof maintenance (least sexy project I can think of).

I would definitely recommend taking off the old stuff completely, cleaning those spots thoroughly, and starting fresh with new product. That way you know that you've sealed everything well and with product that should last for a few years before needing regular inspections and possible touch ups.

I just did lap sealant yesterday using a tip from another forum that I thought was brilliant: apply a ring of regular caulk to act as a "dam" for your lap sealant. It definitely helps to limit spread and ensures the product reaches a good height to cover each vent join. Hoping there isn't a downside to this method, but I suppose I'll find out soon enough!

-Michelle (& Jason)

Jackson

Quote from: TeamMcZajic on May 04, 2023, 10:23:12 AMI would definitely recommend taking off the old stuff completely, cleaning those spots thoroughly, and starting fresh with new product. That way you know that you've sealed everything well and with product that should last for a few years before needing regular inspections and possible touch ups.
Many thanks. Any suggestions on old stuff removal? I'm guessing that it requires some chipping and cutting to remove it.