Proper Usage When Off Grid - Water Pump/Water Heater

Started by spadedace, January 04, 2017, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spadedace

Lots of posts today after a 4 day trip using the camper out in the wilderness and completely off-the-grid where I didn't have a pressurized water source.  I learned a few new things about using this camper with just my fresh water tank and a generator which led me to several questions.

Now, before I ask my questions I'll tell you that I live in Central Florida (Tampa) and that nearly year round (save for the few days a year it gets cold enough on camping weekends) we have to run AC.  It's either humid or hot or both.  Those are standard fare for the camping folks here.  So, my generator is running nearly around the clock when I'm camping.  I bought a new Honda EU3000i which runs the entire camper without issue after buying and trying to use one of the smaller quiet Ryobi 2200/2000 jobbies.  That worked fine the first use, ran the AC on high but couldn't use much else, then subsequent trips the AC would overload and blow the circuit on that little guy.  So, I upgraded to the bad larry that is the Honda.  No.  More.  Problems.  It even runs the Micro!  So...we established my gen is running non-stop so forget the problem of "well you would need to start your generator for that."  :-)

For the water pump, should this be left on all the time to keep the water pressurized?  I have been turning it on when showering and then just enough to prime it until it auto-stops for sink usage else it spits water from air in the line somewhere (sink only...the shower runs fine without spitting like that).  Any reason not to leave this on?

For the water heater, do people just leave it on or leave off and turn it on some 15-20 minutes before they need a shower?  Any reason not to leave it on?

Thanks.

DavidM

I am always amused by campers who think that "wilderness off grid" camping is difficult and unique. Our campers are designed to be used with NO external connections. We camp a couple of dozen nights each year and have almost never have had hookups or a generator. I do understand the need for A/C in Florida though.

Yes, I leave our water pump on all of the time while we are camping, but turn it off when we load up and tow home. It has a pressure valve which shuts down the pump when it reaches the desired pressure. But if for some reason you run the water tank dry, the pump will run all of the time trying to make pressure with no water.

For the water heater, you can leave it on all of the time, and shut it off when you go home like the water pump. I do turn it on for about 15 minutes before our showers and turn it off afterwards. That saves a little propane, but not much I suspect.

David

Merlin

We leave our propane water heater off all the time, except when using it for showers/dish-washing. I added a layer of insulation to the tank, so it stays pretty hot for a long time even when off.

We leave our water pump on all the time when parked. There is no energy usage unless it's running. I briefly experimented with adding one of those tiny Shur-Flo expansion tanks to the water system, but it was so small it added no value and really didn't keep the water pump from frequent cycling.
Michigan

Chappy133

We leave ours on except at night since the pump is under the bed and those middle of the night flushes get loud when the pump kicks on. We also leave it off if we are out for an extended period for hiking.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

SWBF350

I only have the hot water tank on when I need it, it does stay hot even with it off for a good amount of time as it doesn't take much to rewarm the water.

Water pump I keep off unless I need it, just a habit from a previous RV trailer I had once before, as the water pump would cycle on and off mostly during the sleeping hours. Somewhere there was a fitting where I was losing my water pressure, never did find it.
2015 Bearcat FK16 Toyhauler, Awning, Rear slide down Bug Screen, 9200btu a/c, Micro/convection oven, Fantastic Fan, 2 additional Power Fans, Front Power Jack, 24" LED TV, portable 150Watt solar panels, interstate 6v  Batteries, Dual Propane tanks.