Towing on sand

Started by DaveC, March 15, 2017, 08:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveC

I was hanging around at the Campendium site, reading a post about some adventurous souls camping with a fifth wheel on a Texas beach.

This raised a question that I have had for a while.  I know that surf fishermen all recommend dropping tire pressures in order to drive on sand.  I would think that this is good advise for a tow vehicle, but what is the common practice on the trailer that one is towing?  Deflate or not?

Dave

DavidM

I will try to keep my reply brief:

In really soft sand, reducing tire pressure will give the tires more surface area in contact with the road/sand and sink in less. Reduce both your TV and trailer to limit drag and give more pulling power. But I would only do it if you are going to be in the soft stuff for long. It will be a pita to pressure back up and you don't want to tow on pavement at high speeds with low tire pressure.

Short enough  ;)

David

Merlin

David is right on, but an even shorter response: Don't tow in any soft sand. Getting unstuck would be a nightmare while towing. If it's not as hard packed as pavement, stay off.  8)
Michigan

thudd3r

and if you run a weight distribution hitch...unhook the torsion bars before towing in sand

DaveC

Unhooking the weight distribution bars is a good idea.  Hadn't thought about that.  I knew that the TV tires had to be aired down, but was not so sure regarding the trailer.

Thanks.