Camper & Tow Vehicle Weights

Started by rideandfly, July 10, 2015, 04:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rideandfly

We installed vinyl flooring, wood counter top, microwave, 60X80 memory foam mattress, and TV in our 2010 CampLite 11.  It's advertised empty weight was 1400lbs with gross weight of 2200lbs. We also have a 13,500BTU roof mount AC installed. Mighty 11 loaded ready to camp weighed at an electronic scales. Please let me know if there are mistakes or I'm taking the wrong approach to weighting the Mighty 11!!!!

Nissan Frontier (TV) & CampLite 11:

TV GVWR                    5,730 pounds
TV towing capacity:    6,300 pounds
TV GCWR:                 11,135 pounds
TV Max tongue weight:  630 pounds

CampLite 11 GVW:      2,200 pounds

Scale Results:

2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Pickup (TV) with Leer Shell, and two occupants:              4,860 pounds

Combined TV and 2010 CampLite 11 (TT) weight:                                                              6,800 pounds

TT axle weight while connected to TV trailer hitch:                                                              1,640 pounds

TV weight 4,860 pounds subtracted from combined TV/TT weight= TT weight:                   1,940 pounds

TT axle weight subtracted from TT weight= tongue weight:                                                   300 pounds

Bill

Merlin

I think those calculations look good. My only question is whether you weighed the TV separately, not hitched up. So long as the 4860 is TV only, you're good on the calculations. And, you're certainly well within the TV capacities. In your case, the "dog wags the tail".
Michigan

rideandfly

Merlin, Thanks!!!

Disconnected the TV and weighed separate with two occupants, weighed the TV & TT together, and weighed the TT axle only. Only thing not accounted for is about 200 pounds of camping gear in the TV.  So with 200 pounds of gear and 300 pounds tongue weight, the TV comes in at 5,360 pounds.

The tongue weight came in around 15.5% and it tows great.

Will keep the dog wagging the tail!  :)
Bill

Paul

I would like to do the same calculation for my 13QBB sometime, I'll have to check if there is a scale in my area
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

funpilot

When you have all the weights, then use this calculator to see if you are within proper safety limits.   

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

rideandfly

That site is a great tool. Thanks for posting the link!
Bill