Let's organize a meetup

Started by DavidM, March 09, 2018, 12:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidM

This forum has been a bit dead lately so let me juice it up a bit by talking about camping get togethers.

I have organized a few recent ones in Maine. This year we probably won't go back to Maine, but the eastern Adirondacks in New York State is an area that we plan to stay at for a week or so. The area I am talking about is to the west of Lake Champlain and specifically Paradox Lake Campground just west of Ticonderoga and Scaroon Manor Campground on Schroon Lake just east of I 87. Both are NY State campgrounds.

Here is a link to Paradox Lake Campground- http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24488.html. And here is a link to Scaroon Manor Campground- http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/72082.html.

So who would be interested in an Adirondack meetup at either or maybe both of those two campgrounds. We are entirely flexible about dates but would prefer midweek M-F as it is always less crowded then. There are plenty of campsites available in July right now.

And anyone else who would like to plan a get together, now is the time. The campground reservations are filling up (but nothing like Acadia NP) so make some plans and post your proposed meetup just like I just did.

David

Chappy133

My July dates after the 4th are an open dance card.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

PaulJ

I think this is a really good idea.  Need to do by regions; ie.  East, West, Midwest, southeast, etc. Would love to camp out west but that's about 2100 miles or more from Florida.

Steve Sanders

A rally sounds great, but that location is probably too far for us.

I think a few regional gatherings would be necessary because of geography, but I'm not sure there's enough of us to split up for multiple locations.

I'm in central Alabama, so a gathering
close to the southeast would be good for us.

If we could figure out where the people interested in attending live, we could try to find some locations that would be good for as many as possible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DavidM

Well, Steve why don't you use this thread to propose a favorite location near you and see who responds. So far one member has responded to my Adirondack proposal.

David

Steve Sanders

Quote from: DavidM on March 10, 2018, 12:00:25 PM
Well, Steve why don't you use this thread to propose a favorite location near you and see who responds. So far one member has responded to my Adirondack proposal.

David
Well, our most common camping locations are along the gulf coast. It's nice, but not very centrally located.

What about the Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge, Tennessee area for a southeast gathering. I don't have a preferred campground in the area, but I know there are a several to choose from.

Merlin

I hope some meet ups can happen this year. As DavidM has noted, this is a great group of folks to have around a campfire.

The high sales of RVs in the past couple of years is good and bad. The good news is that lots of people are camping and the bad news is that lots of people are camping. We are going to Glacier National Park this July (and then up into Canada for a month). I thought about helping to arrange a "western" meet up in Glacier, but by the time I got around to making camping reservations in January for the national park campground in late July, I got the LAST site left, and with no hookups. That may be the case for popular campgrounds in the travel season all over the country.

I think gbpack may be willing to help organize a SW meet up next year and some locations have already been kicked around in Arizona/Utah for one in 2019.

I had previously mentioned the possibility of a midwest meet up on Lake Michigan at Indiana Dunes State Park (next to Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore) for this summer. If anyone has interest in that for either June or September, I would willing to see what might work for one there in 2018.

If any suggested meet ups on this thread gets legs and takes off and happens, the person with the suggestion should start a new thread dedicated to it. That way we can keep this thread for suggestions and have all the relevant details for a specific meet up in a separate dedicated thread.

The snow is almost melted off my camper and I'm in countdown mode until the first trip of the year in May on Lake Huron.  8)
Michigan

DavidM

Merlin is absolutely right. Use this thread to propose a meetup and see how much interest you get. Then if it looks like it may work, then start a thread specific to your meetup. I will do that for the eastern Adirondacks meetup that I proposed once I get a little more interest.

David

Steve Sanders

Sounds like a good plan. We will see what happens.

Snoopy

I'm new to this (all-aluminum-construction, Camp Lites, and this forum, not to camping), and we would love to meet up with others. We are in southern PA, near Baltimore. We are traveling up to Ontario in just a couple weeks to go pick up our very first CL, and will slowly meander our way back down. We want to make sure any kinks are worked out before we get too far away from the dealer. Our summer is already pretty packed with camping dates around our local area, but we'd consider just about anywhere along the eastern part of the US once autumn gets here.

Here's a question, how often is it that you just randomly run into another Livin Lite product at a campground or park? I see Airstreams of course, but that's because they span decades. We generally do traditional campgrounds so that clientele may be less inclined to go the minimalist camping route.

DavidM

When you come back from Ontario, send me an email- dmfeelingroovy@gmail.com and maybe we can meet up somewhere along the way. We are in NW Connecticut and retired, so we often head off on short notice.

We are planning a week or so in the eastern Adirondacks in NY state and I will post the specifics when we get closer so maybe you can join us there.

In so far as seeing other LL campers where we camp, that has never happened to us. We mostly camp at USFS, NP and state park sites.

David

Merlin

Quote from: Snoopy on July 03, 2018, 07:27:37 PM
I'm new to this (all-aluminum-construction, Camp Lites, and this forum, not to camping), and we would love to meet up with others. We are in southern PA, near Baltimore. We are traveling up to Ontario in just a couple weeks to go pick up our very first CL, and will slowly meander our way back down. We want to make sure any kinks are worked out before we get too far away from the dealer. Our summer is already pretty packed with camping dates around our local area, but we'd consider just about anywhere along the eastern part of the US once autumn gets here.

Here's a question, how often is it that you just randomly run into another Livin Lite product at a campground or park? I see Airstreams of course, but that's because they span decades. We generally do traditional campgrounds so that clientele may be less inclined to go the minimalist camping route.

We camp almost exclusively at state parks, national parks, and provincial parks. We've seen Camplites at 5 places over the past 5 years, so an average of 1/year! In every instance, we met the owners and they were great folks, knowing they had a special camper. Oddly enough, 2 of the "meetings" were at dump stations!

We are in Michigan and camp mostly in the Great Lakes region. We've ventured out to meet ups in the east and west. This summer we are headed north into Canada for a month.
Michigan

Steve Sanders

We've had our 6.0 since June of 2009 and I can only recall one time that we have seen another LL at a campground. It was at Disney's Fort Wilderness a couple of years ago.

djsamuel

Quote from: Steve Sanders on July 04, 2018, 01:22:28 AM
We've had our 6.0 since June of 2009 and I can only recall one time that we have seen another LL at a campground. It was at Disney's Fort Wilderness a couple of years ago.

That may have been me.  Was it a 21BHS?

Chappy133

Hi Snoopy.  Couple other LL PA types on this forum.  We hail from Easton, PA.  We camp all through out the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.  We previously owned a 6.0 and enjoyed it very much.  We made the switch to a CL 16 TBS but do miss sleeping under canvas.

We rarely see other CLs too.  Both our LLs draw attention and inquiries while camping. 

We attended the LL gathering last year up in Maine with David M and others.  Due to calendar challenges we might not be able to attend this year.   

We have a 16 TBS with no decals if you see us in a campground please do come over and introduce your self. 

One recommendation I will suggest for the 6.0 is an awning.  We had a 12 x 12 canopy that we had the dealer sow a mating zipper on.  This lets you get in and out of your 6.0 in the rain and provides nice shade.

Enjoy your new camper!

Chuck
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA