something to put down on the aluminum bed ?

Started by catmanriff, February 22, 2018, 02:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catmanriff

What might be something thin, add some insulation, cleanable, maybe some cushioning and perhaps be in one sheet ..that could stay on the bed side? We use the kitchen side for our luggage, shoes, supplies and such.  We have an extra mattress that goes to the other side for wife and I to sleep on so that mattress does go back over there when we fold up.

How might we get it to stay put during holdup of the two bed sides?

I was thinking a piece of carpet..

Steve Sanders

The mattress that we use in our Quicksilver is a La-Z-Boy Slumber-Air model that's an upgrade option for their sleeper sofas. It's a 4 inch innerspring with a 4 inch air mattress inside one mattress case. It's 8 inches thick and comfortable when inflated and just over 4 inches thick when deflated. It's also a bit heavy and has to be secured to the bunk before closing up the camper.

To secure the mattress to the bunk, I use six metal Closet-maid shelf attachment brackets (the ones that attach the back of the shelf to the back wall with one screw above the shelf and one screw below), some parachute cord and a small S hook.

I riveted the brakes to the side frame of the bunk one in the center of the head and foot of the bed and two evenly spaced on each side. The para-cord is threaded through the brackets to lace the mattress to the bunk.

Depending on what you choose to meet your needs, this might be more robust than you necessary, but it works.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lily

2 suggestions: under the mattress we use some foam flooring from Home Depot. Comes in 2 x 2 foot pieces and is cushion and insulation in one. Easy to clean, light weight, sold in 16 sq. Ft. Package. 2nd suggestion: get an electric mattress pad for top of mattress, inexpensive and more heat available than you will ever need. Just did 43 nights in our 8.0 in SC, GA, and FL. Also use a $20. Electric heater from Walmart for interior warmth. All we've needed. Good luck & safe travels! Lily the Wonder Coton de Tulear

Steve Sanders

+1 for the electric mattress pad with an electric heater. That's what we have been doing and are very happy with it.

Get a heater with a thermostat though. The off/low/high switch models will either be too hot or too cold. The thermostat let's you turn it on and almost forget about it.

catmanriff

my mattress side is good. We have two memory foam mattresses that go on one side, leaving a bare aluminum bed base on the other. I was looking for a solution for that side that was perhaps one piece and could stay put somehow when we pack up

Steve Sanders

Perhaps interlocking foam pads held in place with double sided tape.