2018 composite floor

Started by Jeepsk8, December 12, 2017, 12:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepsk8

I have a 2018 QS 6.0 with the composite floor. I didn't realize at the time that it had the "new" floor and not the aluminum planking. That really doesn't concern me too much other than there is no long term, real life reviews of the composite floor. Entropy3XD has some youtube videos showing some issues with his QS 8.0 and outlines current issues with his unit to include the floor. Maybe he will comment ;) At any rate, I am not upset about the new floor yet, mine is rock solid with no spongy feeling anywhere, probably because I don't have any large unsupported spans because of the compact nature or the 6.0. I am however not sold on the longevity of the floor. One of the layers on the bottom seems to be made of cardboard, and we all know that isn't going to holdup to any moisture. I believe there is a layer of fiberglass above that then a thick foam layer and who knows what else. Structurally I believe that this floor, when supported correctly, should last a lifetime. I do foresee the outer/bottom layer suffering some kind of delamination because of the cardboard component sandwiched in there. I don't think there is any fear of rot beyond that however, so I don't really fear falling out the bottom of my camper. It would be nice if LL warrantied the floor for say 10 years instead of the factory normal.

Also, not a fan of how the wiring is supported under the floor. I have 2 cable clamps that are just hanging on the cable bundles because the screws holding them to the floor pulled out. There isn't sufficient structure on the bottom of the floor to support the strain of cables clamped on with a sheet metal screw. The dealer is going to look at that, but we know they are just going to sink another screw in there.  Why not just screw them right to the frame?

DavidM

The following was reported from an official LL source on the LL forum:

We use 5 layers to construct the floor.  Lamilux fiberglass top, 1-layer of Azdel, polystyrene(High-density block foam insulation), lastly another layer of Azdel and Darco protective wrap

All of these are synthetic materials that will not rot, ie no wood. I assume that they are all held together with some adhesive. Admittedly the bottom Azdel layer isn't strong enough to hold cable clamps with a sheet metal screw. I will bet that someone makes a short expansion screw that will hold and LL should use those.

David

Jeepsk8

Thank you for that info. I guess that cardboard looking material is the Azdel then. If that is the case then the floor should not be of concern. I think I would still have preferred the aluminum plank floor, but I hate being the guinea pig, lol. It looks like Lamilux has been in the RV flooring business for awhile too, so I get the warm fuzzy on that. I guess the bright spot is the increased R-value of the floor over aluminum. As far as fasteners, I suppose a drywall anchor would work.

DavidM

Don't drill to deep for those drywall anchors. That floor can't be much more than 1" thick.

David

Merlin

With a laminated floor as David described, a drywall anchor would not likely hold up to the stress of travel. The Azdel (in the walls anyway) is far too thin and weak to hold anything like an anchor by itself and de-lamination of laminated structures is a long-standing complaint in the RV world. If you can, I would go for cable wraps directly screwed into aluminum.
Michigan

Pinstriper

My floor is a single layer of aluminimuminium. I have yet to see any evidence that it could delaminate, since it is...uh...not laminated.

The interior of these old school Camplites can be spring-cleaned with a pressure washer and a leaf blower.

Jeepsk8

My impulse is to attach right to the frame. I wouldn't try to sink a screw into the floor myself, but I know that is what th dealer will do.

Pinstriper

Most dealers pick their noses with the same fingers that they scratch their nu... um....

Ahem....

I have... low expectations from most dealers, based on my experience with them during the sale and service processes.

See ? I have a filter. It's not a great filter, but I have one !

Merlin

Quote from: Pinstriper on December 12, 2017, 10:08:28 PM
Most dealers pick their noses with the same fingers that they scratch their nu... um....

Ahem....

I have... low expectations from most dealers, based on my experience with them during the sale and service processes.

See ? I have a filter. It's not a great filter, but I have one !

Pretty low bar. But a bar nonetheless. Whew!  :o. And agreed that with dealers it works out best to keep expectations lower than your bar.
Michigan

Entropy3XD

Hi Jeepsk8.  I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have. 

The issues with the 2018 10.0 I had weren't completely about the composite floor, but after discovering the floor change I started going through the camper to compare it to earlier models, and soon realized they made a lot of other subtle changes with the 2018s, most of which I wasn't happy about.  The floor in mine did have more give than I would have liked, and I was able to feel the frame underneath, but I attribute that to large spans in the frame, not so much the composite floor.  I just think I got a really bad build and I've spoken with several 2018 owners who've been very happy with theirs and haven't experienced the same issues.

I definitely would not anchor anything directly to the floor or Azdel walls, unless you're able to tap into aluminum.  Some have seen this in the new 10.0s, on the wall with the bench.  When getting in and out of the camper, people tend to grab that wall and on the 2018s it flexes pretty good, so a few people have reported the side bench screws have started to pull out from the wall.  As far as longevity of the floor goes, only time will tell, but I do agree they should warranty it for 5-10 years to put the minds of the early adopters at ease. 

Jeepsk8

Thanks Entropy3XD. I've watched your videos which had me looking closer at things. Fortunately, the 6.0 is quite different in construction, so most of your issues are non-starters in mine. We do share the Azdel panels on the walls and floor. The walls are so low that I couldn't imagine trying to secure anything to them anyway. I guess there are the 3M command hooks if I feel the need to hang something up. So far, even with just a few glitches, I love this 6.0.

Entropy3XD

I really like the 6.0.  I'd be looking for a used one if I had the space to store it.  It's perfect for those weekends when it's just the wife and I.

Jeepsk8

I usually solo camp. Not because I want to, but we have a pack of dogs. Too expensive to board them, not bringing them with us, finding a sitter is a no go because of special needs. So we (the spouse and I) take separate vacations for now. The 6.0 checks off a lot of boxes for me, primarily it's light weight and simplicity. No more sleeping on the ground for me, I'm getting too old for that crap!