Lithium Battery Upgrade

Started by RV Squirrel, May 25, 2022, 11:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ammobob

Been a long time since i have been here. Spent last 4 years fighting knee replacement surgeries. Anyway my lead acid battery on my 2016 21BHS is shot and i am looking to go lithium. We do not boondock and generally use full hook-ups. Any thoughts on a drop in battery and/or the need for a converter?

DavidM

Why go through the aggravation and expense of switching to Li If you never boondock? Replace the bad battery with a similar one, or for no maintenance switch to an AGM. Much cheaper and easier and works fine with your existing converter.

DAVID

ammobob

Quote from: DavidM on February 06, 2023, 02:57:23 PMWhy go through the aggravation and expense of switching to Li If you never boondock? Replace the bad battery with a similar one, or for no maintenance switch to an AGM. Much cheaper and easier and works fine with your existing converter.

DAVID
thanks David. Suspected i might be told to go that way. Any thoughts on a good AGM battery or brand?

DavidM

[/quote]thanks David. Suspected i might be told to go that way. Any thoughts on a good AGM battery or brand?
[/quote]

I have a pair of 100 Ah AGMs in my current RV supplied by WindyNation from Amazon at $200 ea. At G31 size they are probably too big for your battery box. WN, Renogy and Weize are all good, low cost AGM brands and should have a suitable G27 size that shlould fit. All are available through Amazon.

David

ammobob

Thanks David! I appreciate the advice.

Merlin

Quote from: ammobob on February 06, 2023, 02:33:37 PMBeen a long time since i have been here. Spent last 4 years fighting knee replacement surgeries. Anyway my lead acid battery on my 2016 21BHS is shot and i am looking to go lithium. We do not boondock and generally use full hook-ups. Any thoughts on a drop in battery and/or the need for a converter?

Good to see a post from you again! Welcome back. David's advice is right on. I would only add that I see Reno has both Costco and Sams Club. Costco sells Interstate and Sams Club sells Duracell. Both are good brands and both have excellent return policies. I've used group 27 AGM marine/deep cycle Duracell batteries from Sams Club and they've lasted since 2014. The cores are getting valuable, so be sure to take the old one in for recycling.
Michigan

ammobob

Quote from: Merlin on February 07, 2023, 11:09:36 AM
Quote from: ammobob on February 06, 2023, 02:33:37 PMBeen a long time since i have been here. Spent last 4 years fighting knee replacement surgeries. Anyway my lead acid battery on my 2016 21BHS is shot and i am looking to go lithium. We do not boondock and generally use full hook-ups. Any thoughts on a drop in battery and/or the need for a converter?

Good to see a post from you again! Welcome back. David's advice is right on. I would only add that I see Reno has both Costco and Sams Club. Costco sells Interstate and Sams Club sells Duracell. Both are good brands and both have excellent return policies. I've used group 27 AGM marine/deep cycle Duracell batteries from Sams Club and they've lasted since 2014. The cores are getting valuable, so be sure to take the old one in for recycling.

So had an Interstate from Costco but only got 4 years out of it. Pulled it from the camper when not in use and kept it on a tricke charger. Checked the fluid levels regularly. So that being said how did you get one to last from 2014?

Merlin

Some trickle chargers provide a constant high voltage that keep a battery charged, but can shorten the overall life. During the off season, I plug the camper into shore power once a month and let the converter charge the batteries for a few hours. If you do use a trickle charger, use a smart one with periodic staged charging like those made by Noco and Ctek. I do like the Duracell AGM batteries, but our Sams Club closed, so I'll probably go Interstate this time?
Michigan