Water tank mod

Started by mojospeople, June 21, 2020, 03:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojospeople

Hi all,
I've always had issues with draining all the water out of my tank due to the placement of the drain valve. I'm wanting to relocate it and in the process it would be great to maybe get a pressure washer hose inside to give it a good (careful) cleaning while it's open. The location of the current drain valve is so inconvenient. I can barely get hold of it to open/close and the access to it is blocked by the two lowpoint drain hoses. I noticed that the tank has several of these ports on it which seem like they were done in the manufacturing process to give the builder options of where to place drains and intakes. From what I can find online (not much) it seems that maybe I can simply twist one of these open to gain access and then install whatever type of plug or valve I want. Thoughts? Appreciate any advice.

DavidM

Our 2013 16TBS doesn't seem to have that problem. The drain valve is easily accessible. Maybe the change to a single axle changed the tank plumbing. Do you have the single?

In any case I will take a look at my tank in a few days and post my thoughts. We are going on a shake down camping trip overnight close to home on Tuesday.

David

mojospeople

Yes, it's the single axle. I'm guessing that the low point drains were positioned due to the position of the tank support bracket which put them right in front of the tank drain and intake points. Right around the corner to the left of the current drain (which doesn't have the valve on it in this picture) is the other capped port that I posted the picture of initially. I'd like to move the drain valve to the front of the tank for both better draining and easier access. I'll actually probably route a hose out to the side to a valve to drain for easier access than reaching a foot or further under the edge of the camper. I'm just not sure if I can just twist off that front cap and find that it is threaded and ready for a fitting to be installed. I'm guessing that it is but would like to know for sure before I go and mess it all up and then have to drop and replace the tank!

Merlin

The freshwater drain on my '15 TBS is like mojospeople's. Completely blocked by the low point drains, a pain (literally) to access, and way too high on the tank. Many gallons remain after a draining and I have to heavily bleach to keep the tank from yuckiness. If it works to put a drain somewhere else, I'm in!

Edit: I just checked my freshwater tank and don't see any of those potential alternative fitting locations like you have in the photo. Hmmm..........
Michigan

Pinstriper

I am puzzled as to how anything can be labeled the "low point" when it isn't a line that comes out of the BOTTOM of the tank.

Even if there WERE a fitting there, it would necessarily have a lip protruding in from the bottom surface, so there would still be some water left, and yuck would ensue.

I think the best solution is for draining/winterizing, just get as much as you can out. That means opening everything from top to bottom, then closing everything but the lowest, turning on the pump to get as much out that way, and finally to add presurized air WHILE THE PUMP IS ON so you get the water out of the pump as well.

Then as far as yuck goes, hit it hard with bleach, take the rig for a rid to aggressively agitate, then do the same dumping as for winterizing, with the modification that you have the drain open while also adding fresh water to the tank. As they say "the solution to pollution is dilution". By the time the fresh water has turned over several times, all the gunk and bleach should be out and done for. Now you're starting with a fresh tank.

We STILL use a Pur filter on the faucet for anything that goes for cooking, teeth, doggos. In fact we generally do that with bottled water from home, avoiding the tank as much as possible. But I am pretty confident in the safety of what's in my tank when all is said and done.

mojospeople

Right? It's the low point of what exactly?

DavidM

I am doing a first  shakedown campout to day. All state parks in the NE are closed until 7/1 so we decided to check out this conservation society campground close to home. Nice view of Bantam Lake in Ct from our campsite. I would take a pic and post it but all I have with me is my Android tablet and I don't know how to do that. I will edit this post tomorrow with a pic from my laptop.

Hey I played with it and stumbled on a way to do it on the Android!!!

Anyway I checked my water tank and it has none of the plugged off fittings that mojo spoke of. Looks like when Thor moved the factory they changed tànk suppliers and screwed up the valve access as well.

I would give it a shot and try to unscrew one though.

David