Camping in a COVID 19 Environment

Started by DavidM, March 20, 2020, 02:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidM

Happyhiker:

Thank you for expressing your well thought out views. Three weeks ago when I started this thread there weren't wide spread stay at home orders. Today is different and although I don't believe the cops will stop you in your RV and block your progress they may tell you to self quarantine when you get where you are going, like they are doing in Florida and other states now.

So we too are staying at home for the next few months. Hopefully by July most maybe all of the stay at home orders will be lifted. That doesn't mean get out and go camping willy nilly, particularly for long distances and over a month or more. Merlin expressed it well in a previous post: If he and/or his wife gets sick a thousand or more miles from home, it could be very difficult situation while living in a 16' trailer with perhaps one or more of them in the hospital.

We will limit our camping in July and for the rest of this year to places a few hundred miles or less from home and no grocery or laundry stops required as well as staying away from other people, particularly people we don't know.

It is a scary thought though!!! As you note, this is a once in a century event.

David

happyhiker

David,

Thanks for putting this thread together.  I hope others will share and more importantly I hope many will read and think about risk minimization in the coming months.  It is going to be extremely important for people (esp. high risk) to exercise great restraint and avoid thinking everything is back to normal.  "Flattening the curve" doesn't mean the virus is gone.  It simply means we will not  (hopefully) overwhelm our health care system until there is a cure. Now, perhaps, if you have already contracted the virus and your body has built up an immunity to the virus, you might be ok.  Unfortunately, testing is not widely available to know if you already have it and have developed an immunity.  Moreover, it is my understanding that there have been cases of people reacquiring it even after testing positive, being "cured", and then testing negative.  The information I have seen suggests that you can get the virus and it remains in your body.  If you get more exposure on the road, you allow your immune system to run down from the stress of travel or exercise (or perhaps over indulgence) ,  you could become more vulnerable to reacquisition. 

A few final points:

Public restrooms:   Someone (perhaps it was you) mentioned the whole issue of using public toilets.  I agree.  IMHO, it would be completely out of the question to use public restrooms.   If you are not completely self contained that would be a problem.   That means if you have a Quick Silver without a pot or if you are a tent camper, you are in trouble.

The evidence out of China and elsewhere suggests that transmission can occur through urine and feces.  We all know that public facilities are more often than not unsanitary on a good day.  Imagine what it will be like now.  I really feel sorry for all of the janitors out there.  Imagine being a camp host or a park service worker and being asked to clean a public toilet in this environment.  Many private concessionaires require their hosts to clean restrooms as a part of their lousy deal for a free site. You couldn't pay me enough to be a janitor now and I suspect many camp hosts (who often times get no pay-only a free site) may decide not to even show up this year, or if they do, they will likely do an even worse job of cleaning.  It is highly unlikely that they will have PPE (ie gloves and masks)  to clean and you can't find cleaners, sanitizers or toilet paper.  There will be no TP in the pit toliets this summer. 

Healthcare on the road.  This is a real hot button issue for me because of my disdain for our for profit health care system.  It is also a topic that you and others have mentioned and this could spark an extensive amount of discussion.  Suffice to say, as we all know (whether you want to admit it or not) our healthcare system in the US is THE most expensive in the world.  For many RVers and full timers (who are not on medicare), getting sick on the road (which in many cases is their home) could be a financial disaster even aside from the question of whether they can find healthcare.   This last year my brother had to be airlifted out of the Carribean to Miami in connection with a diving accident.  His bill for treatment in Kitts and St Nevis, air transport to Miami and hospitalization in Miami was over half a million dollars.  He is a doctor and had the foresight to have special insurance, but sadly most do not healthcare for unexpected illness and injury while traveling.   In the US, (and unless you are on medicare) if you are fortunate enough to have insurance, you can be treated out of network for emergencies and it is required to be covered under the ACA.  (Not so for some of the newer BS plans that the Trump admin is letting insurance companies sell).  However, deductibles can be and usually are, considerably higher while out of network.  There is also generally no coverage for transport back home. Additionally, you have the whole issue of having your RV stuck in some remote location.  How are you going to get it back and who is going to pay for it?  Most people, I dare say, don't purchase coverage for return transportation for themselves, their travelling companions and their rigs.

Inconsistent travel restrictions and self quarantine.    You could be delayed, detoured or prevented from getting to or from your destination because of locally imposed travel restrictions.   (I also think that in states where they have done a better job in social distancing), driving through a small town with a Florida trailer tag could be quite unwelcome given the poor job FL did in containing the spread of the virus.  I have already heard complaints from my midwestern friends about people from Florida spreading the virus.  (In Florida we just blame the New Yorkers).

With respect to self quarantine, it is not fun to get sick on the road, particularly in a Livin Lite 14DB.  Enough said.

I could go on, but I have rambled enough.

Bottom line.  Yes you can camp if you are self contained, don't go far, avoid stores and strangers and exercise great care.  Truthfully, I am seriously envious of the cheap gas prices out there.  Imagine filling the truck or RV up and paying less than $1.50 for a gallon.  Last year near Lassen NP, it was $4.29.

Be safe! 

DavidM

Happyhiker:

Thanks for your post, I totally agree.

One state's governor (can't remember who) in a moment of rationality closed his state's campground restrooms but left the campgrounds open, and maybe even free so no ranger interaction t ochck in. The rangers are only there to help with problems and keep the peace. But campers have to clean up for themselves when they leave the campsite.

Makes lots of sense.

David

Lap527

Yup, got 2 camplites and can't use either one.  Have seasonal site in NC but don't wanna get caught short up there either. It's a lot more feasible staying in 3 bedroom house than a 21 RBS or truck camper.  Speaking of insurance, I will be eligible for medicare on May 1st and sure don't wanna use my insurance I have now due to high deductible.  So at home we will be.
We are an all aluminum Livin Lite family. We currently own a 2013 Camplite 10.0 Truck camper and a 2016 21RBS travel trailer.  No wood ...No Rot!!

Powder Hounds

Here in Alberta all campgrounds are closed, provincial and national, only a few private locations are open. Crown land (BLM) is also restricted. Yesterday the government implemented a province wide fire ban and an off road vehicle ban, this covers 60% of the province. Because it is the start of our wild fire season the government does not want to risk any resources. Plus, if evacuations are required due to fires do you really want to have people confined and then quarantined? Small towns just don't have the resources to cope.  Usually in the event of forest fires resources are shared between provinces and some states. I doubt that would happen now with Covid. We are staying home! Maybe June 1st some parks might open but who knows.

A 10 minute walk from our home there have been 20 deaths in a care facility due to Covid. The virus is in our community, reports of staff testing positive in our local grocery stores as well.

The economic fall out will be ever lasting, IMO the states will not see many Snowbirds next season, only 6 months away! Insurance will probably not cover people, I doubt any Canadian would want to take that risk health, pre existing conditions and Covid, good luck people. Returning from AZ in March our insurance provider informed us we had 10 days of coverage and that was it. The provider canceled almost 30 days worth of coverage. That definitely raises some concern. Snowbirds provide billions to the US economy each year.

Paul

My trailer is out of storage, this year instead of getting all the trailer out on the same day they spread it out and only one client is on site and they just open the door and you have to get it out and close the garage door by yourself. It went smooth it was nice I didn't had to rush because of someone waiting. In New Brunswick we didn't had any new case in 12 days. Hopefully it stays like this. In the next phase they are supposed to open seasonal campground so hopefully I will be able to bring it to my site. For now it is in the driveway, I am trying to decide if I should grease the bearing myself or bring it in for service, I have to go for the province safety inspection anyway. I didn't do the bearing at all since I own the trailer.

2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

DavidM

Paul:

It is very easy to grease the bearings yourself. Pop the rubber cover off of the bearing housing and you will see a zerk fitting (a nipple) inside. Use a grease gun that you can by for $10 or so at your local auto parts store, Walmart, etc and pump grease inside. You will see the spring compress and when it is fully compressed or you see grease squirting around the edges, stop. Replace the rubber cover and you are done.

David

Paul

I could probably do the bearing myself but finally decided to take an appointment to a dexter axle dealer to do the job for the reason that I need to do the MVI and I want them to replace the brake cable I put liquid tape on last year because it had a cut on it and was exposed. I ask them to do a full inspection on the brake, bearing and axles. My MVI is expired since 2018 I am better to get this done  :)
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

ADR

Quote from: DavidM on May 01, 2020, 12:26:40 PM
Paul:

It is very easy to grease the bearings yourself. Pop the rubber cover off of the bearing housing and you will see a zerk fitting (a nipple) inside. Use a grease gun that you can by for $10 or so at your local auto parts store, Walmart, etc and pump grease inside. You will see the spring compress and when it is fully compressed or you see grease squirting around the edges, stop. Replace the rubber cover and you are done.

David

What spring?   None in any of my many Dexter axles with the EZ-Lube.

Merlin

Quote from: ADR on May 06, 2020, 08:56:50 PM
Quote from: DavidM on May 01, 2020, 12:26:40 PM
Paul:

David

What spring?   None in any of my many Dexter axles with the EZ-Lube.

I think David must have the Bearing Buddies in the hubs. Those have a spring system that prevents water intrusion with slight positive pressure in the hub. You're right about the EZ-Lube; the grease just flows through the bearings and hubs.
Michigan

Pinstriper

Put me down in the camp that says it is so easy to do bearings I do them myself for peace of mind that I've done a good inspection at the same time.

If I am pressed for time, I have had them done at a service center. But I end up wondering who did it, and were they like the jackass who did the first winterizing and neglected to blow out the outdoor "shower" and busted a fitting.

Bearing buddies IMO lead you to not inspect your bearings and can lead to bigger issues later, so I don't run them.

DavidM

Quote from: Pinstriper on May 08, 2020, 12:03:24 PM
Put me down in the camp that says it is so easy to do bearings I do them myself for peace of mind that I've done a good inspection at the same time.

If I am pressed for time, I have had them done at a service center. But I end up wondering who did it, and were they like the jackass who did the first winterizing and neglected to blow out the outdoor "shower" and busted a fitting.

Bearing buddies IMO lead you to not inspect your bearings and can lead to bigger issues later, so I don't run them.

I do the following with my boat trailer bearings whch operate in a much tougher environment (salt water) as well as my trailer bearings:

Jack up one side of the trailer. Rotate each tire and feel for bearing roughness. Don't confuse the brake shoes dragging with rough bearings. Then if ok wiggle the tire back and forth. It should have a tiny amount of play, maybe 1/32" of inch top to botom. This assures that the bearing isn't too loose or tight. If you have  too much or not enough play, then you have to remove the axle nut and tighten or loosen a bit. If you have roughness then you probably need to replace the bearing.

If both are ok then pump in grease through the zerk fitting and you are good for another 10,000 miles or 1 year.

David

Pinstriper

Quote from: DavidM on May 08, 2020, 12:24:15 PM
Quote from: Pinstriper on May 08, 2020, 12:03:24 PM

I do the following with my boat trailer bearings whch operate in a much tougher environment (salt water) as well as my trailer bearings:

Jack up one side of the trailer. Rotate each tire and feel for bearing roughness. Don't confuse the brake shoes dragging with rough bearings. Then if ok wiggle the tire back and forth. It should have a tiny amount of play, maybe 1/32" of inch top to botom. This assures that the bearing isn't too loose or tight. If you have  too much or not enough play, then you have to remove the axle nut and tighten or loosen a bit. If you have roughness then you probably need to replace the bearing.

If both are ok then pump in grease through the zerk fitting and you are good for another 10,000 miles or 1 year.

David
That's a good check David. I also like to see them with my eyes. They can be smooth and well fitting but discolored from having overheated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADR

The problem with Bearing Buddies is they do not replace the grease.  They exist solely to keep pressure on submerged hubs to keep water out.   I would not use them on anything but a boat trailer-

Merlin

Quote from: ADR on May 08, 2020, 09:42:20 PM
The problem with Bearing Buddies is they do not replace the grease.  They exist solely to keep pressure on submerged hubs to keep water out.   I would not use them on anything but a boat trailer-

But.......I use Bearing Buddies on my utility trailer for 2 reasons. The slight positive pressure also helps keep out dirt. And in one case for me, rainwater. I was headed east on I-80/90 a few years ago in Ohio and what seemed like a solid wall of water in the form of rain "submerged" everything. I swear it was like driving through a lake! Anyway, the second reason I like them is you fill the entire hub cavity with grease instead of just a wimpy little bit in the bearings. Last year I pulled on BB off and checked the grease after several years. It looked fine!  However, the hub grease seals were wearing out and had a little grease weeping out, so I did the full bearing service.
Michigan