Winterizing Toy Hauler

Started by gdgrimm, December 08, 2015, 11:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdgrimm

Hello all,

I'm a first year owner of a 28' Quicksilver VRV Toy hauler, and would like some help ensuring I winterize it properly.

I'm in the Austin, TX area, so while it usually will get below freezing a few times in the winter, I don't have to worry about sub-zero temperatures.  But the trailer does sit outdoors, so I can't really do anything to keep it above freezing.

I found this you tube video that appears to cover everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc4oeMjgAlM

But would like some feedback on how accurate and/or complete it actually is.  Also, some other questions.

1) How accurate/complete is that video?

2) I have a manual that discusses how to winterize the water pump, including removing hoses and running it dry.  Since the video actually uses that pump to push RV-grade antifreeze solution through the internal/external plumbing, I think I can get by without running the pump dry.  Does that make sense, or am I missing something?

3) The video discusses draining the fresh water tank and the water heater, but doesn't mention doing anything else to them.  Is that correct?  No RV-grade antifreeze added to them?  Any moisture left behind is expected to have enough expansion room to handle freezing without breaking something?

4) Other than normal emptying of black and gray water tanks, the video doesn't mention doing anything else to them.  It does show that some of the antifreeze will get into them during the process of winterizing the internal/external plumbing.  Is that adequate to ensure those 2 tanks won't have issues with any moisture that might not get fully removed during normal draining?
5) Any other systems that I should be concerned about?

Thanks for your help!

rideandfly

Welcome to the Forum!

My CampLite 11 does not have water systems, so not much help with winterizing.

Congrats on the Toy Hauler!
Bill

Paul

For the water heater and water tank you only need to empty them and you'll be fine even if there is a small amount left in it there will be enought room for them to expand so nothing to worry about. Since I am located in Canada I put antifreeze in my water line to make sure there is not a small amount of water left in there because it could break the pipe, but for the tanks it's ok if there is a small amount of water there since it has a lot of space to expand. Welcome to the forum
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Mitch

I skipped through the video you posted and it looks pretty thorough.  I have a 13QBB and do pretty much the same thing.  As Paul said, the small amount of water in the tanks is not really anything to worry about just drain them all as well as you can.  As for the lines and the pipes, once I've drained everything, making sure to open the low point drains and drain the outside shower, I close all the valves back up again.  Then, at the water pump, I unscrew the fitting that comes from the fresh water tank and attach my hose that goes to the anti-freeze jug. Turn on the pump and fill the system up with anti-freeze.  When the pump turns off (after about 1 gallon of anti-freeze) I go to both sink valves and individually open each up until I see anti-freeze come out.  I flush the toilet until I see anti-freeze and I run the shower. I then go outside and run the outside shower and finally open the low point drains briefly.  At this point I've seen anti-freeze at each water point so I know I have protected all my pipes and valves.  I dump a bit in each trap (sink and shower) and I'm done.  It sounds like a lot of anti freeze but it's actually less than 2 gallons total.  I do not put anti-freeze in my fresh water tank and the only bit that gets in the grey and black is from the process, I don't add any.  The water heater is in bypass so no anti-freeze gets in there either.  Hope that's helpful.

Mitch 

Paul

Quote from: Mitch on December 15, 2015, 08:38:27 PM
I skipped through the video you posted and it looks pretty thorough.  I have a 13QBB and do pretty much the same thing.  As Paul said, the small amount of water in the tanks is not really anything to worry about just drain them all as well as you can.  As for the lines and the pipes, once I've drained everything, making sure to open the low point drains and drain the outside shower, I close all the valves back up again.  Then, at the water pump, I unscrew the fitting that comes from the fresh water tank and attach my hose that goes to the anti-freeze jug. Turn on the pump and fill the system up with anti-freeze.  When the pump turns off (after about 1 gallon of anti-freeze) I go to both sink valves and individually open each up until I see anti-freeze come out.  I flush the toilet until I see anti-freeze and I run the shower. I then go outside and run the outside shower and finally open the low point drains briefly.  At this point I've seen anti-freeze at each water point so I know I have protected all my pipes and valves.  I dump a bit in each trap (sink and shower) and I'm done.  It sounds like a lot of anti freeze but it's actually less than 2 gallons total.  I do not put anti-freeze in my fresh water tank and the only bit that gets in the grey and black is from the process, I don't add any.  The water heater is in bypass so no anti-freeze gets in there either.  Hope that's helpful.

Mitch

I pretty much do the same, something you didn't mention that I do is I pour a little bit of anti-freeze in the toilet bowl so that there is a little bit of liquid in there so that the seal doesn't dry out
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Mitch

You're absolutely correct!  I do that too, forgot to mention it and it's kind of important to keep the seal in good shape. Good call!

gdgrimm

Thanks everybody for the comments!

Things went fairly well.

I initially ignored the part about what socket to have for the water heater anode, thinking I could probably use some other wrench to accomplish the same goal.  NOT.  No real harm done though, as I realized it pretty quick and had to make an extra run to the store to get the right tool.

Also, it turns out that my trailer isn't pre-plumbed to make this super easy.  There's one hose from the fresh water tank to the fresh water pump, but no valves or spur hoses to direct suction from an anti-freeze jug rather than the tank.  No big issue though, since pulling the one hose from the pump inlet and adding my own stub hose was easy.

One other thing I saw in a different video than the one I posted had to do with the shore water connection point.  At the very end, after making sure that the water system is depressurized, it suggested pulling the screen from the shore water connection point, and pressing in on the check valve until no more water comes out.  That drained a little water as well.

Paul

Quote from: gdgrimm on December 23, 2015, 09:29:49 AM

One other thing I saw in a different video than the one I posted had to do with the shore water connection point.  At the very end, after making sure that the water system is depressurized, it suggested pulling the screen from the shore water connection point, and pressing in on the check valve until no more water comes out.  That drained a little water as well.

Yes this is something I do too I forgot to mention it
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS