Newly acquired 2016 21 RBS ?

Started by Lap527, October 29, 2019, 11:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lap527

Hello All,   As the subject line states we have acquired a 21RBS and have a few questions.  Looking underneath the trailer I see that the braces holding fresh water tank are steel not aluminum. Hmmm...Is that the way LL did the braces on this model?  We just replaced the entry door and it looks great.  Yes, the dreaded corrosion.  We purchased a new door from Challenger and had it shipped to us.  It was not our first rodeo on the entry door.  We also own a 2013 Camplite truck camper and that entry door was replaced under warranty, not with the trailer.  We really have to make sure that the trailer tilts a little to the slide side so that the water will drain off slide even though we have an awning on it.  Normal?  Sometimes the wiper seal doesn't pop out either.  Normal?  I guess all the antennas are really junk.  We put a winegard batwing on TC and are thinking about doing the same on the tt. Husband loves trailer and wifey, me loves the tc. So for now we are a 2 camplite family.  Thanks!
We are an all aluminum Livin Lite family. We currently own a 2013 Camplite 10.0 Truck camper and a 2016 21RBS travel trailer.  No wood ...No Rot!!

Merlin

Michigan

djsamuel

On my 2013 21BHS, the straps holding all tanks in place are aluminum, including the fresh water tank.

DavidM

Over the years, both during and after the Scott Tuttle era, some minor components were made of steel. A couple that are steel on my 2013 16TBS are the step attachment brackets and the bracket holding the waste lines. I understand that later models used the steel straps under the tanks, but mine are aluminum.

Some of this is justified by strength or convenience reasons like the step and waste attachments. I wouldn't change those to aluminum. The tank strap is a different category and just like the frame, should be aluminum as it affects the integrity of the trailer. I think I recall others having complained to LL and having them changed to aluminum under warranty.

I would try that, but I hear LL and Thor aren't doing well now with recent warranty claims. I might worry about it if I trailered on salt treated winter roads, but otherwise no.

David

charliem

Quote from: Merlin on October 30, 2019, 07:35:00 PM
Maybe @charliem will weigh in?
Not sure what I can add to this but Merlin's wish is my command. The straps on my 2014 21RBS (built late 2013) are aluminum flat stock welded into U shaped brackets. I haven't noticed any issues with water collecting on the slide roof.
No problems noted with the doors though others have had bad experiences.
The rubber gaskets do have some issues that cause the slide to be VERY noisy on opening. I worried about this but discovered the noise greatly abated when the outside of the trailer was wet. Apparently the rubber gaskets don't properly reverse for part of the slide travel. 
Can't say on the antenna because OTH TV is not a big part of my camping. If I see something it's OK but if I don't it's OK too. Since cable news is not offered OTH I don't really care about the roof mounted antenna. Any directional gain antenna wold be better than the omni saucer if you can rotate it. An external Yagi on a pole would be best.
Howdies to @Merlin , @djsamuel , and @DavidM . Glad to see you guys are still around and active. We've had our first freeze and snow so the CL is parked and drained for the winter. Camp on.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Lap527

Thanks for the replies.  21RBS is looking better to me.  LOL!
We are an all aluminum Livin Lite family. We currently own a 2013 Camplite 10.0 Truck camper and a 2016 21RBS travel trailer.  No wood ...No Rot!!

Lap527

Update... crawled under trailer today and saw that only the fresh water tank has the steel braces.  Gray and black have the aluminum braces. Dunno except we bought it used and we are the 3rd owners. 

ADR

Quote from: Lap527 on October 29, 2019, 11:02:24 PM
  Sometimes the wiper seal doesn't pop out either.  Normal? 

Might be someone lubed the seals- I made that mistake once on a previous trailer- thought a light silicone spray would be useful.
The result was the seals would not do their flip to the proper orientation as the slide went in or out.
Note-it is near impossible to clean off silcone :P

djsamuel

Quote from: charliem on October 31, 2019, 04:50:48 PM
Quote from: Merlin on October 30, 2019, 07:35:00 PM
Maybe @charliem will weigh in?
Not sure what I can add to this but Merlin's wish is my command. The straps on my 2014 21RBS (built late 2013) are aluminum flat stock welded into U shaped brackets. I haven't noticed any issues with water collecting on the slide roof.
No problems noted with the doors though others have had bad experiences.
The rubber gaskets do have some issues that cause the slide to be VERY noisy on opening. I worried about this but discovered the noise greatly abated when the outside of the trailer was wet. Apparently the rubber gaskets don't properly reverse for part of the slide travel. 
Can't say on the antenna because OTH TV is not a big part of my camping. If I see something it's OK but if I don't it's OK too. Since cable news is not offered OTH I don't really care about the roof mounted antenna. Any directional gain antenna wold be better than the omni saucer if you can rotate it. An external Yagi on a pole would be best.
Howdies to @Merlin , @djsamuel , and @DavidM . Glad to see you guys are still around and active. We've had our first freeze and snow so the CL is parked and drained for the winter. Camp on.

Always here even if not posting. Typing while sitting in my 21BHS during our camping trip at Fort Wilderness in Disney World. Camper is still working great.