MicroAir EasyStart Install

Started by nhlakes, June 02, 2018, 07:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhlakes

Received my EasyStart and will be installing it as soon as time permits.  I did not see another thread dedicated to the topic, so I'm starting this thread to capture any collective wisdom on the installation.  If any one has anything to share please do!

Here's a link to the install guide for the Penguin II that many of us have:
http://microair.net/main/products/manuals/EasyStart_364_Installation_Guide_for_Dometic_Penguin_II.pdf

nhlakes

First attempt was a failure.  I got all the way to the last step where I was supposed to connect a wire from the 'kit' (that was not included) to the blue compressor wire to a relay on the control board.  I could also not see any control board in sight.   So, following the wiring diagram I just spliced into the blue wire and thought that should have been sufficient.  It was not. AC would not start. 

Fortunately I had been very careful not to cut any stock wiring, so I was able to rewire it back to stock (leaving the EasyStart in place but not connected for now) and the AC started.  (Phewww - was a tad nervous about that.)

I'm going to call their customer support tomorrow and ask for the best way to proceed.  I'm hoping that my theory of splicing into the blue wire was the right thing to do and tomorrow (or when I get the time) I will go back splice into that wire with something better than the clamp on connector that I originally tried - but we'll see what they suggest.

nhlakes

Called MicroAir this morning and they were very helpful.  The reason I could not find the controller board referenced in the instructions is that the Penguin II's with the Fan/AC knobs on the unit (like many in our LL's) do not have the controller board.   

My logic was sound in that I need to tap into the 'blue' wire as I had thought.   However my reluctance to cut the wires (in hopes to not void warranty) may have resulted in a connection that could not pass enough current.  There's also a chance a grabbed the wrong white wire - but will assure that I do not next time I try the install. 

Real busy the next couple of weeks so unsure when I will get back to it...  Although will need to check the weather - if it is going to be hot and sunny the next couple weeks I may have to squeeze it in.  Working on the metal roof in the sun is a tad warm, like a cat on a hot tin roof... ;)

Gary M

I ran into the same issue with mine last month, I told them that they need to fix that instruction for penguin II's. Pretty sure I just cut the blue wire and spliced both open ends of it with the black wire with one of the crimp on nuts from their install kit. Only other issue I had was bending the copper lines at the compressor to fit the unit in place. They actually have an instruction for that in their wiring diagram section of the website. Let me see if I still have pictures of the wiring..

yup, found em..

And here's a video of my 13.5k AC running off a single Honda 2200i in eco mode. This kit is awesome :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj5G9yP4UpA

PaulJ

While you guys are on this subject; is there a way to install a wall thermostat and some kind of relay so the unit does not run all of the time? You buy a 30K trailer and they basically give you a "window AC" Thank God the heat unit is somewhat normal. G.d bless Thor for they definitely  know not what to do.

Merlin

Quote from: DocktorJJ on June 08, 2018, 06:40:12 PM
While you guys are on this subject; is there a way to install a wall thermostat and some kind of relay so the unit does not run all of the time? You buy a 30K trailer and they basically give you a "window AC" Thank God the heat unit is somewhat normal. G.d bless Thor for they definitely  know not what to do.

I have not done this myself, but did look into it last year when I again got tired the SUPER noisy inside fan in my AC. I installed the Quiet Kit for the outside that worked wonders, but inside it's LOUD. In the end, I decided not to do it because at night a constant loud noise is marginally better than an intermittent loud noise. There are kits and aftermarket thermostats for the purpose. Again, no experience or helpful knowledge from me, but it seems doable.

http://airswitchrv.com
Michigan

nhlakes

Tried the EasyStart install again today.   I had rewired it back to normal after the first attempt and it was running as it original.

So, I reinstalled the EasyStart  the same way I tried to first time around and this time it ran great on shore power.  From talking with the folks at EasyStart I may have grabbed the wrong white wire the first time around which apparently is a common problem.

Unfortunately it would start but not stay running on my Honda EU2000I.  The compressor would come on  and then just fade out within a couple of minutes.  Generator would not fault, the AC just wouldn't stay running.   Called EasyStart back and they suggested it was either the generator not putting out enough power – which would be unusual since they test them on a Honda EU2000i – or the control board got confused from my first wiring attempt and something wasn't right - so I should have it relearn the AC.   

They told me to open up the EasyStart and reset it to factory state by moving the jumper (see lower left of pic below), then power cycle it, put the jumper back to the normal position and do 5 cycles (powering it up for 5 mins and leaving it powered down for 5 mins) so it could relearn the AC unit.   Hour later, no change.

I had initially tried it with all breakers but AC off and my EMS bypassed so I tried it again with the EMS on just to see how many amps it was drawing.  Turns out it is drawing 15amps – which is apparently over the capacity of the EU2000i.  The EasyStart guys had suggested it should be drawing 10-11 amps.   Not sure why I'm drawing more than usual amps.  I'll call EasyStart again on Monday am if time permits to continue the conversation.

Merlin

Couple of quick, probably silly, ideas. Make sure you're using a short, large gauge wire with good clean connections  from the Honda to the camper. Get all the amps possible from the genny to the A/C since you're operating right on the edge of capacity. The rated capacity of the eu2000i is 13.3 amps and given the inevitable losses in the system, that Honda will be right at maximum output.
Michigan

nhlakes

Yep, used just the stock LL 30amp power cord directly to the generator plugged with a typical 30amp RV adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-PowerGrip-Adapter-Contoured-55223/dp/B00192JGA8

Gary M

hmmm, Im going to see exactly how much my AC draws for ya, but it does sound like somethings wrong here. My honda 2200 puts out a little more than the 2000's (15a), but it doesn't even make a hiccup when the AC compressor kicks on, and it will stay in eco mode too. I'll post back what I find.

Gary M

Ok so I did the same as you, turned off all my other breakers, and I got 12a at startup and then it stabilized at 13a. So it does look like yours is drawing a little more. I have the same easystart installed too. Maybe they sent you a bad unit?  Here's a video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApBZbC3sjU

Merlin

So it looks like Dometic Penguin II draws too much power for the Honda EU2000i based on the above and the published specs. That A/C unit draws 1731 watts and the generator produces 1600 watts continuous, according to the published specs. With Gary's numbers above (and assuming some rounding of the readout number that may be as much as 0.4 A higher), the genset is simply undersized for continuous A/C operation at +13A (+1600W).
Michigan

nhlakes

Quote from: Merlin on June 10, 2018, 09:42:15 AM
So it looks like Dometic Penguin II draws too much power for the Honda EU2000i based on the above and the published specs. That A/C unit draws 1731 watts and the generator produces 1600 watts continuous, according to the published specs. With Gary's numbers above (and assuming some rounding of the readout number that may be as much as 0.4 A higher), the genset is simply undersized for continuous A/C operation at +13A (+1600W).
However, lots of folks do report running the Penguin II with easy start on the EU2000i even on eco mode without issue.  I will have another call with the easy start folks at some point to see if they have other ideas, but at this point I'm guessing that either my my 10 year old Honda EU2000I is simply not working at peak performance - possibly do to some minor fuel delivery issue (minor lacquer buildup etc - although it starts and runs smoothly - and it's output is just not cutting it) OR for some reason my 13500BTU Penguin II is drawing slightly higher amperage than normal....

In either case, I will not be surprised if I see a slightly larger generator in my future with the ability to run everything in the camper.   While I am a Honda fan and have really liked this generator, I have read good things about the Champion Dual Fuel Inverter generators.   The 31-3500wt models are apparently pretty quiet and about what I paid for the EU2000i 10 years ago.  Might stop by Costco today today to see if the have a 3100 in stock.  They are 90+lbs though which is a big drawback for me.

If the $850 Costco unit which runs about 2800wts on Propane could handle running everything and was relatively quiet, it would be a consideration.

Merlin

I also see many folks with problems running a 13.5K A/C unit with the EU2000. I'll be you're right that the Honda may not be putting out rated power after 10 years. There is a fuel filter in the tank on the pickup tube and of course the carb jets may be clogged a bit. Since that genset is right on the edge of enough power for that A/C, any little thing will affect success. And, the A/C unit is going to draw more power as the ambient temp goes up too. At high ambient temps the A/C may well be drawing closer to 16 amps? Too bad you're in VA; if you were close to MI, I'd buy that Eu2000i off you because there are times I need that size. I have an EU1000i and a EMS5000X and the mid-size would be great to have sometimes.
Michigan

Gary M

Good point on the ambient Temps Merlin. It was only 60 degrees F outside when I was getting 13a draw while testing. That could be the reason he's drawing more if it's warmer where he is.