Upgrade Speakers

Started by dlb53151, May 02, 2021, 12:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chappy133

I added a bluetooth "dongle" to my Jensen so I could pair it with a bluetooth speaker/light combination. It would not pair with the speaker.  It is using speaker B.   
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

Merlin

Quote from: Chappy133 on May 22, 2021, 09:03:22 AM
I added a bluetooth "dongle" to my Jensen so I could pair it with a bluetooth speaker/light combination. It would not pair with the speaker.  It is using speaker B.

That's a great solution for good sound! Smart move.
Michigan

dlb53151

I'm (finally) ready to replace my speakers.  If anyone has done the same would like to know what you bought. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

I replaced all four of my ceiling speakers with Infinity Kappa 63.7i. They are 6.5" 3-way speakers and they fit well. I added some acoustic foam behind them. The original speakers sit in a cutout of the ceiling insulation and you can see a few square inches of the roof! Those Infinity speakers (my favorite brand) are no longer available, but Crutchfield.com would help you find similar and Infinity makes a bunch of difference ones. Watch out for rear clearance; it's only 2" to the roof. Super nice sound,BTW!

Edit: Oops, I see I already posted this info earlier.

BTW, I still have some new speakers (Infinity) I'd be happy to sell super cheap. PM me if you're interested.
Michigan

gzelna

I replaced my two ceiling speakers with some Polk coaxials which were a perfect fit for the aluminum ceiling cutouts, though the mounting holes needed to be redrilled. I tapped the mounting holes in the aluminum ceiling and mounted them from underneath with #6-32 machine screws,  since there is obviously no access to the back of the speaker. Had to use the Polk speaker grills, not the factory ones (didn't fit). Of course it sounds better, but the head unit really needs upgrading- and the DVD has stopped working, so that may be sooner than later..... I dont have the speaker PNs on hand, if anyone is still following this thread and needs it- I'll dig it up.....

dlb53151

So... I finally upgraded my OEM junk speakers to Sony XS-FB1330's.  Much better sound.  EXCEPT:  I get some clipping and static etc at modest volume levels.  Makes sense though because that Jensen AWM968 receiver is way underpowered.  I need to add an amp.  Crutchfield suggested the Infinity DSP 4425.  Merlin I see you added a Clarion amp.  How do you like it?  Particularly, how difficult is the install?  Crutchfield mentioned something about needing to add a wire to the battery which sounds like a lot of work....

Merlin

No need for a new wire run. The Clarion does need 12v power, but that's already available at the Jensen head unit. Very easy install, because the Clarion accepts speaker level inputs, so it's just a matter of splicing into the existing speaker wires at the Jensen head unit. I did install an on/off switch for the Clarion and I vented the cabinet where it is, but neither are really needed. Plenty of power! 
Michigan

dlb53151

Thanks Merlin.  How did you vent the unit?

Merlin

In my 16TBS, the head unit and added amplifier are at the end of the cabinet over the sink, facing the door. I just used a hole saw drill and made 2 inch holes top and bottom, then fit round vent covers in each. Any excess heat vents by convection.
Michigan

dlb53151

Hi Merlin - any chance you could send pics of that venting?  Thanks.

Merlin

Quote from: dlb53151 on September 17, 2023, 03:20:55 PMHi Merlin - any chance you could send pics of that venting?  Thanks.

I'll see if can post one. In the meantime, if you send me your email via a private message, I can attach photos to an email to you.
Michigan